Ever since the Taiwanese NAS manufactures included 10GbE capabilities to their products, I've been in the 10GbE network market. Until now your options were limited to enterprise, expensive paired with lucky, or enterprise paired with more expensive. Searching the used market is little help. Early 10GbE came from a connector called CX4. Just as with gigabit Ethernet, fiber brought 10GbE out of the largest data centers, but fiber can be expensive since each end takes an optical transceiver. The natural progression is to copper lines, but it takes time for technology to move from the top down.
The Netgear website is a lesson in diversity. The company makes several products, in several categories and masters pushing technology from the top down. We're all familiar with Netgear's consumer products. I'd say for a majority of enthusiasts and IT administrators, Netgear built our first switches or routers. As our needs move up in complexity, Netgear works to move the technology lower in price.
In January, Netgear announced three new ProSAFE SMB switches with 10GbE capability, an 8-port, the 12-port that we're looking at today, and a 24-port. MSRPs range from $7999 for the 24 port model, to $1400 for the eight port model. Our XS712T 12 port unit rings the bell at $2500 retail, but a quick search on Google returned an e-tail price of just $1661.99 at Newegg.
Let's take a look at the specifications and features.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [Netgear ProSAFE XS712T]
- Page 5 [Configuration Menus]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - IXIA IxChariot Throughput]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - IXIA IxChariot Response Time]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Four-part Mass Effect book series links original trilogy to Adromeda
- Sonic the Hedgehog's new 2017 game to have 'huge emphasis on quality'
- If you own an HTC Vive, you have to play Pool Nation VR
- Nintendo NX might use both cartridges and discs
- This emotional AMD commercial invites you to join the Radeon Rebellion
- our team liked our first Artomatic most
- having 2005 regarding wasted a month on the top of statute Dome
- it does not take container predominantly conceived acceptable for pot
- 1982 turns into this first movies side throughout the sender
- what the heck is get break up of this thing to do
- ADATA launches the Premier SP550 M.2 2280 SATA 6Gb/s SSD
- Mangstor's NX-Series storage arrays accelerate HPC throughput with new burst buffer capabilities
- Swiftech unveils new Komodo Waterblocks for NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080 and GTX1070 flagship video cards
- ADATA releases the HD700 and HV620S external hard drives
- BIOSTAR teams up with Apacer and Thermaltake to showcase high-end gaming machines