Taking a look at the card you'd think the first thing we notice is the giant red cooler, but to be honest, that little bit of black PCB that shows up across the bottom is what caught our eyes first. We said it the other day and we'll say it again, while the PCB color is only aesthetic, we do love when companies opt for a black one. As for the cooler, you can see it covers majority of the card as you'd expect, with two fans and a massive aluminum heat sink sitting in the back ground.
If we look a little closer, we can see some copper heat pipes coming out of the bottom, along with a couple at the top of the card. The R7 260X 2GB cooler ran a little louder so we're looking forward to seeing if this one today runs a little cooler while being just as efficient.
Heading to the top of the card, you can see power comes in the form of a single 8-Pin and single 6-Pin PCIe power connector; this is of course the standard power setup. Here we also get another sneak peek at the heat pipes coming out the top of the card. Sticking to the top of the card, and heading closer to the front, you can see we've got two CrossFire connectors along with our dual BIOS switch.
We've seen a couple of different configurations when it comes to the R9 280X 3GB and the I/O side of things. Looking above, you can see we've got a single Dual-Link DVI connector, along with a single HDMI port and a pair of Mini DisplayPort connectors to round things off. As a DisplayPort fan, the connectivity setup that leans towards DisplayPort is always a healthy one.
The VisionTek R9 280X 3GB card carries with it the reference clock speeds. While normally we'd take the time to overclock a card with reference clock speeds, the funny thing is, we are yet to see a R9 280X 3GB with the stock clocks.
Because AMD didn't sample a reference version of the card, we've seen pre-overclocked versions from companies. Because of that, we decided to take the time to test the card at its reference clock speeds.
What are the reference clock speeds then? The core comes in at 1000MHz while the 3GB of GDDR5 carries a 6000MHz QDR memory clock. It will be nice to see just how a stock clock card compares to some other models we've already tested.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 4]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080: Volta GPU, GDDR6/HBM2 support
- Bandai Namco reveals why Tekken 7 was delayed
- Intel launching next-gen 20-threaded CPU in August 2017
- Final Dark Souls 3 Ringed City DLC coming March 28
- 'Star Wars Episode VIII' gets officially titled
- Z170X Gamming 5 - Sata Expansion alternatives
- Gigabyte (Business) Partner Questions
- Upgrading to Z270
- headphones not registering on ASUS k501uq
- Black screen GA Z170X ULTRA GAMING BIOS F21 I7 6400 T HELP
- COLORFUL announces the iGame GTX1070 X-TOP-8G Advanced Limited
- LYRobotix set to release a VR Motion tracking system for mobile gaming
- I Am Setsuna coming to Nintendo Switch on March 3
- 2016 Thermaltake CaseMOD Invitational Season 2 voting event starts
- Garmin announces the Approach G30, adds a small but powerful handheld to its golf GPS offerings