ASUS ROG RAIDR Express
Here, we get our first look at the ROG RAIDR Express PCIe SSD. The drive has a metal housing that covers both sides of the drive.
Like the retail package, the drive has a lot of visual appeal added to enhance the product.
The RAIDR logo on the side of the drive glows red when inserted in a PCIe slot.
The drive uses a PCIe 2.0 2-lane connection to transfer data to and from the card. The small sticker on the left shows our sample is hardware version A02. The drives have firmware 5.0.7 installed on them; the sticker also shows the firmware version.
Here, we see the drive with the metal shroud off. The large heat sink cools the two LSI SandForce SF-2281 controllers. ASUS used the new B02 stepping controllers that use less power, and produce less heat than the early stepping controller's produce. The heat sink is a bit much, but we never complain about overkill.
The drive has sixteen NAND flash packages; eight per side. Here we see the back of the SSD with the cover off.
Back to the main side again, the heat sink connects to each controller with thermal pads.
Here, we see the drive naked. There are two LSI SandForce SF-2281 controllers, and a small Marvell RAID controller under the SSD controller on the right side.
ASUS used the SF-2281VB2 controller, also known as B02. This is the second gen SF-2281 that uses less power than the first version.
ASUS used Toshiba 19nm Type C flash with 16K page sizes.
As mentioned in the article, the Marvell 88SE9230 RAID controller passes TRIM commands to the individual SSDs.
Broken down into sections, here we see one SSD. Each drive has eight NAND packages, a controller, and power circuits.
With the cover off, we get a good view of the DuoMode Switch. This allows you to change the firmware on the drive from legacy BIOS, to UEFI BIOS support.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Sony shipped about 60 million PS4s
- Next-gen PS4 coming in 2018, analyst predicts
- Acer's new laptop rocks unreleased NVIDIA graphics card
- AMD Radeon RX Vega loses to GTX 1080 at 1080p
- Halo 6's 'compelling' story will focus on Master Chief
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube Gaming PC Review
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives