We straight away appreciate the black on black color scheme. We always love when companies opt for a black PCB as it does look great, especially when pitted up against a black PCB motherboard.
Taking a look at the cooler, it takes up most of the card, with it even shooting over the end of the card. There are three heat pipes coming out the bottom of the card, along with another coming out the top. Like most higher-end coolers these days, there is a dual fan setup.
Power comes in the form of a single 8-pin and 6-pin PCIe power connector. Continuing across the top of the card and moving closer to the front, there is a pair of CrossFire connectors in the event you want to throw more than one card into the mix.
Finishing up our look at the card, we head over to the I/O. Here you can see we've got two DVI ports, one in the form of a DVI-D and the other in the form of DVI-I. Along with those two ports, you can see we've also got a HDMI and DisplayPort connector to round things off.
Being a video card that carries the TOP label of course means that out of the box ASUS has overclocked the card. Looking below, you can see out of the box the ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II TOP 3GB comes with a core clock of 1070MHz, while the 3GB of GDDR5 comes in at 6400MHz QDR. While the memory remains the same as a stock model, you can see that the core clock has been increased by 70MHz over the default 1000MHz.
Today, though, we wanted to see just how much performance we could get out of the ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II TOP. Firing up our overclocking software, you can see above that we managed to push the core up to 1225MHz, while the 3GB of GDDR5 was pushed to 6800MHz QDR.
While the memory clock isn't huge, the core clock is strong and that is what generally brings the biggest performance gains.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 4]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft's Continuum turns Lumia 950s into mobile PC's
- Ubisoft announces Far Cry Primal set in Stone Age, coming 2016
- KitGuru editor in chief apologizes for 'inflammatory' AMD article
- Intel Battery Optimizer Android app now cleans, too
- Assassin's Creed, Rainbow Six next in GeForce GTX bundles
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX 32GB USB iOS Flash Drive Review
- SSI EEB support for Lian Li high end chassis
- Need help with a build
- Force M7 Thor Mouse does not wake system?
- Topic: X99E-ITX/ac with 32GB ram
- The Crew WILD RUN PC CLOSED BETA WILL BE PLAYABLE FROM OCTOBER 15TH TO OCTOBER 19TH 2015
- MLG Announces Broadcast Talent for World Finals in New Orleans
- Patriot Announces New Viper 4 3600MHz Dual-Channel Memory Kit
- Supermicro Launches New 1U TwinPro Fully Redundant, Dual DP Node, SuperServer
- AMD Partners with Oculus and Dell to Power Oculus Ready PCs