The WD Black 2 Dual Drive is a rather unique device that takes mobile storage to the next level. Within one drive, we have both a 120GB SSD for the operating system and a 1TB HDD for additional data. Previously, this could only be achieved through the use of two drives, and in a mobile device such as a notebook that would mean, in most cases, removing the optical drive.
In our testing, the WD Black 2 did quite well on the SSD front. Of course, it's not the highest performing solid state solution, but it does offer quite a performance gain over traditional HDDs and even SSHDs.
The 120GB capacity of the SSD partition seems to be the sweet spot for OS installation, and should offer plenty of additional space for your most used applications. In addition to this, we have a full terabyte of storage space on the HDD portion of the drive, for you to use to your liking.
Personally, I think the WD Black 2 Dual Drive deserves solid consideration if you are in the market for a drive upgrade for your small form factor PCs.
Pricing of the WD Black 2 Dual Drive is set at $299.99 and includes a five-year warranty. This gives the WD Black 2 a 27 cent per GB market price, while HDDs are coming in at 12 to 15 cents per GB. Furthermore, the average price per GB for a typical 120GB SSD sits at 75 to 90 cents per GB.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Valve partners with Bitpay, with Bitcoin support now on Steam
- Intel no longer defines itself as a PC company, thinking more broadly
- Weekly Giveaway: Win a ZOTAC SONIX PCIe 480GB SSD (Global Entry!)
- Facebook, Messenger, Instagram apps debut on Windows 10
- Fallout 4 Steam patch adds Survival difficulty, improves performance
- Creative Sound Blaster Roar Pro Bluetooth Portable Speaker Review
- Thecus N5810 Consumer NAS Review
- Cold double post on Z77X-UD5H
- Lian Li PC-X510 question about resonance sound
- 1MORE Swarovski Crystal Piston Earphones Review
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience
- Seagate now shipping 10TB helium enterprise drive in volume
- ENERMAX announces the new DFR technology with D.F.PRESSURE
- World's first 24/7 esports TV channel launched