Adaptec offers several means of controller management. The most obvious is through the controllers' BIOS. The requisite CLI interface also provides management capability, though most will utilize the HTML5 web-browser based maxView utility. This allows for easy configuration in a user-friendly GUI. The web-based GUI is wrapped in standard desktop browser without the need for a separate software installation, allowing for easy management of direct attach or networked storage.
The manager also provides full monitoring of an installed supercap and AFM status. Initializing several devices simultaneously is possible through the BIOS of the controller, and the addition of secure erase functionality is a tremendous time saver.
The Series 8 adapters allow three configuration options for attached volumes with the addition of FlexConfig technology. This aids ease of configurability, with the option for automatic setup for both physical and logical volumes. In physical drive mode, the controller configures the drive in a pass-through configuration, much like an HBA. There is no addition of metadata to the drive and no use of DRAM caching.
In simple volume mode, the controller allows the drive to utilize the DRAM caching by configuring metadata onto the drive. This value-added proposition gives HBA functionality with DRAM caching and the protection of supercaps (if attached). The RAID mode provides the full set of options for manually configuring all RAID parameters and supports three modes of operation; OLTP, Dynamic and Big Block Bypass. The RAID mode also provides online capacity migration.
Adaptec ASR-8885 Specifications
The ASR-8885 offers a means of power backup with the AFM-700 modules. These supercapacitor-based devices provide numerous advantages over Li-Ion batteries. The AFM-700 also powers the ZMCP (Zero-Maintenance Cache Protection) feature as an add-on with most models (with the exception of the 8885E). The 81650ZQ features embedded NAND and capacitors on the PCB.
The Series 8 family consists of five SKU's. The 8885E is geared for the price-conscious and has RAID options limited to 1, 1,1E and 10. The 8885E also does not support cache protection and features only 512MB of DDR3 cache.
The remainder of the controllers leverage the full capabilities of ARC (Adaptec RAID Code), with 0, 1, 1E, 5, 6, 10, 50 and RAID 60 supported. These controllers sport 1GB of DRAM cache, support the AFM-700 modules, and feature varying port configurations listed in the specifications graphic below. A comparable 16-port model from the earlier generation controllers pulled 19.55 Watts, and with Series 8 that is reduced to 14.73 Watts. All models are covered by a three-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Adaptec ASR-8885 Management and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Adaptec ASR-8885]
- Page 4 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 5 [RAID 0 4K Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [RAID 0 8K Random Read/Write]
- Page 7 [RAID 0 128K Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 8 [RAID 0 Database/OLTP, Webserver and Fileserver]
- Page 9 [RAID 5 4K Random Read/Write]
- Page 10 [RAID 5 8K Random Read/Write]
- Page 11 [RAID 5 128K Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 12 [RAID 5 Database/OLTP and Webserver]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Secure, Powerful Hard Drive Storage for 20% Off
- Turtle Beach shows off Star Wars Battlefront-themed headphones
- Head of Islamic State Cyber Caliphate killed by drone strike
- Scosche launches the boomBOTTLE+ waterproof Bluetooth speaker
- XCOM 2 delayed to 2016 on all platforms
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20