Drive Acoustics and Power Consumption
Drive acoustics is something that can be a very important metric when purchasing a drive. As such, we purchased and built a 12 x 12 x 12 box out of 2" thick insulating foam. In the center of the box, we place the drive on 3" acoustic foam. Sound level measurements are taken from a distance of 6 inches.
Looking at the chart above, we find all drives maintaining a steady and consistent noise level throughout testing. At its peak, the WD Black tops the charts just over 40dBa.
Our custom power testing samples each drive for a period of three minutes across each workload. In order to offer more granularity we sample the power in one-second intervals. 4K random read/write carries the least amount of power consumption for the WD Black, here we see the drive move from a touch over 9 watts down to 8.5 watts at the end of the workload. Peak power consumption comes during sequential read operations as the drive jumps to 10watts.
Idle power consumption for the WD Black hangs around at 8.1 to 8.3 watts, and after entering standby down to just 1 watt.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft introduces Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition
- Tesla's Gigafactory shows huge progress in a new video
- Final Fantasy XV will support 8K resolution on PC
- Galaxy Note8 pricing to start at $950
- New Assassin's Creed: Origins trailers show epic scope
- GIGABYTE X399 AORUS Gaming 7 TR4 Motherboard Review
- Linksys WRT32x AC3200 Wireless Gaming Router Review
- Massive drop in temps by lowering "VCCPLL OC" in BIOS: Is the reported temperature correct?
- Intel details 8th Generation Core CPUs with Kaby Lake-R
- Xbox's next system-seller may be an early access titan
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower
- Longsys' world-first 11.5x13mm NVMe BGA SSD drives new mobile user experience