Drive Acoustics and Power Consumption
Drive acoustics is something that can be a very important metric when purchasing a drive. As such, we purchased and built a 12 x 12 x 12 box out of 2" thick insulating foam. In the center of the box, we place the drive on 3" acoustic foam. Sound level measurements are taken from a distance of 6 inches.
Looking at the chart above, we find all drives maintaining a steady and consistent noise level throughout testing. At its peak, the WD Black tops the charts just over 40dBa.
Our custom power testing samples each drive for a period of three minutes across each workload. In order to offer more granularity we sample the power in one-second intervals. 4K random read/write carries the least amount of power consumption for the WD Black, here we see the drive move from a touch over 9 watts down to 8.5 watts at the end of the workload. Peak power consumption comes during sequential read operations as the drive jumps to 10watts.
Idle power consumption for the WD Black hangs around at 8.1 to 8.3 watts, and after entering standby down to just 1 watt.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- NVIDIA secures 81% of the GPU market according to JPR
- eSports betting startup Unikrn gets backed by Ashton Kutcher
- Naughty Dog announces March 18, 2016 release for Uncharted 4 on PS4
- Google is trying to make 4K video less demanding on your connection
- FBI says companies lost $1.2B due to email scams since October 2013
- ASUSTOR AS5004T Four-Bay Consumer NAS Review
- Gigabyte G1 z170 Gaming 7 motherboard.
- Kingston DataTraveler microDuo 3C USB 3.1 Type-C Flash Drive Review
- PC-Q01/PC-Q03 Sizing Questions
- USB 3.0 header availability for PC-C37?
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20