When you require a solution that can fill many different application needs, it is nice to have a product that can cover a wide range of requirements. With one motherboard to cover different roles, it not only reduces costs, but also greatly simplifies support needs.
The Supermicro X10SAT sits in a very nice position to be both an entry-level workstation or expanding the load out and turning this platform into a high-end system with lots of powerful options. I think many of us have run systems that at some point in time needed extra storage or attached devices and this motherboard has plenty of options for that.
We really like the fact that these systems would work well in an office environment because of how little noise and heat they produced. Power use is also a concern today and the system tested peaked out at 106 watts under heavy loads, idle power use was about 40 watts. This shows that the X10SAT and the new Intel Haswell CPU's provide a powerful system that has a low running cost, which is very nice.
Another option you always seem to run out of is USB ports. Having eight USB ports gives you plenty of ports to expand the system with from printers to backup drives or just about anything else.
We find little to complain about with the Supermicro X10SAT, except for maybe the BIOS. It is not that the BIOS is bad, but rather it just seems outdated looking. However, it does serve its purpose well and you really do not need to get into the BIOS very often.
SuperDoctor III allows you to monitor systems running headless and vPro technology, which allows you to administer these systems without too much fussing around.
Now the price for the X10SAT looks to be in the range of $250 to $300 depending on where you look. This might be a tad bit high, but you are getting a very solid motherboard, so we do not think it is a real concern at this time.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Hitman is part of AMD's Gaming Evolved program, includes DX12 features
- Infinity Ward is working on the next Call of Duty, due late this year
- Kanye West begins showing off his new video game
- Today is the last day for free Google Drive storage offer
- Unity answers Unreal's VR Editor with its own VR-in-VR dev toolset
- Cougar 450K Hybrid Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- more a what's your opinion on motherboard replacement re: asus 1225b
- Debug 62
- Asrock z97e-itx/ac Bifurcation Support
- Intel Compute Stick "2" STK1AW32SC 2GB Windows 10 Review
- Phanteks Announces the Eclipse P400 and P400S Chassis
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Horus GK2000 Gaming Keyboard
- Logitech Announces the G810 Orion Spectrum Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
- ADATA Reveals HD650X and HD710M USB 3.0 External Hard Drives