Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts
Hitting at $699, the new GTX 780 Ti 3GB is going to cost anywhere from $110 - $150 more than the AMD R9 290X 4GB. The main reason for the range in price is because while the official price for the R9 290X 4GB is $549, they're being listed as high as $589. This is about what we would expect from NVIDIA, in no way would we expect them to come out and offer the new model at the same price as the AMD one - it's just not what they do. Plus, if they did that, it wreaks havoc on a whole bunch of other models from NVIDIA.
When it comes to performance, the card is a beast, and it really has to hurt anyone who bought a GTX TITAN for $999. As much of a beast that card was, the price tag was always painful. The performance of the new GTX 780 Ti 3GB is really quite exceptional, though, and you can see against our MSI GTX 780 3GB Lightning, which is overclocked to over 1000MHz on the core, more often than not, the new Ti variant manages to perform ahead of it.
The new GTX 780 Ti 3GB competes against the AMD R9 290X 4GB in the sense that it's AMD's top single GPU model against NVIDIA's top single GPU model. But with over $100 separating the two cards and more than $200 separating them when you're talking about CrossFire or SLI, there's a decent price gap between the two cards. It's really enough that the NVIDIA offering could just simply not be in your budget.
What we're really excited about, though, is what partners do in the coming weeks and months with both the GTX 780 Ti 3GB and the R9 290X 4GB. Let MSI loose on the models with its Lightning label and ASUS with its MATRIX one and we're going to really see what happens. Then you've got the solo partners, what will EVGA do to the GTX 780 Ti? And AMD partners like Sapphire and HIS with the R9 290X?
If you're a fan of NVIDIA video cards, you're going to be really happy with what NVIDIA has brought to the table today. Is the NVIDIA offering the faster out of the two? When two cards perform this well, it's hard to give a clear winner. Sometimes we see the NVIDIA offering ahead, other times the AMD offering is ahead. And there's also times where both cards perform almost the same as each other.
We do feel that AMD has a bit more going on when it comes to the feature side of things with stuff like Mantle, bridgeless CrossFire and TrueAudio to name just a few. On the other hand, it feels like NVIDIA just turned around and slapped a beast of a video card on the table. They simply let the numbers do the talking.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 4]
- Page 21 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 22 [Temperature Test]
- Page 23 [Sound Test]
- Page 24 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 25 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- 'Star Wars: Rebels' season 2 trailer reveals Vader, new friends & foes
- Disney-themed prosthetic hands are now a thing
- DARPA developing vehicle disappearing technology
- 'Toy Story 4' delayed by a whole year
- Samsung didn't infringe on NVIDIA patents, judge says
- Kingwin Power Dock PD-2537U3 Dual-Bay Clone Storage Station Review
- GA-X58A-UD3R Rev1 SSD Boot Order Issue.
- Help Updating GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2.0 Bios
- Got a Gaming 9 ACK X99S MSI MB to trade ..
- Bootloop Issue with GA-Z97N-WiFi even after RMA
- EVGA Gives Away Free Cooler Shroud Replacement to its HYBRID Series Owners
- Shuttle Offers Value Priced XPC Nano Small Form Factor PC
- MSI Announces the DS502 7.1 Gaming Headset with Active Noise-Cancelation
- Netgear Introduces Quad-Mode Business-Class Wireless-AC Access Points
- Nokia announces planned leadership and organizational structure for combined Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent