Benchmarks - Black Magic Design DST, Xbench and AJA System Test
Within Mac OS X 10.8.5 we used a 5GB file size with Black Magic Design DST. Above, we have the results with the 5Big Thunderbolt in RAID 0 - this is truly mind blowing as we haven't seen Thunderbolt stretch it legs like this until now.
RAID 1 results were pretty typical coming in at 219 MB/s read and 137 MB/s write.
In our Xbench testing we found yet another hint of the performance of the LaCie 5Big Thunderbolt and just Thunderbolt as an interface for storage solutions. If we take a look at the results, you will notice the 5Big really excels in uncached sequential write with 4K blocks at 1158 MB/s.
RAID 1 results were pretty similar in Xbench as we saw with Blackmagicdesign DST.
AJA System test is one of a few storage focused benchmarks for OS X. Here we have the 5Big Thunderbolt in RAID 0 streaming a 720p video file over 200 frames with read/write speed recorded for each frame.
Above, we have the same test run through with a 1080p video file over 200 frames. Notice we still have the same crash in throughput around frame 10-15, most likely due to the HDDs caching and the RAID overhead.
Above, we have the 720p test repeated with the 5Big in RAID 1. Notice how consistent this test run is compared to the heart monitor pace the RAID 0 was creating.
Again, with 1080p and RAID 1 this time around, the 5Big hold steady performance throughout the entire 200 frame series in writes.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Packaging and the 5Big Thunderbolt]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Single Client Throughput, Random and Sequential Workloads]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Power Consumption and Acoustics]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Thunderbolt on OS X 10.8]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Sony Xperia Z5, Xperia X5 amongst first for Android 7.0
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 features 10-core CPU, costs $135
- HBM3 released by 2020, offers more bandwidth, less power
- Acer rumored to unveil a gaming-oriented smartwatch soon
- Mad Max for PC drops to $10 in leftover summer sale
- Asus Zenbook pro ux501vw touchscreen?
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 - Is Bigger Always Better?
- Are LianLi case fans any good?
- GAMDIAS Hermes RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Really hot idle temps on X99 Extreme 4/3.1
- CAPE Audio shakes up the headphone industry with the release of Rebellion Headphones
- Tesoro announces ambidextrous, White Sharur SE Spectrum gaming mouse
- Eurocom launches worlds first GTX 1080 SLI VR-Ready laptop
- Thermaltake new Pacific RGB G1/4 PETG Tube 16mm OD 12mm ID 6 liquid-cooling fittings with 1 RGB LED lighting controller
- Cooler Master announces the MasterMouse Pro L