Benchmarks - Black Magic Design DST, Xbench and AJA System Test
Within Mac OS X 10.8.5 we used a 5GB file size with Black Magic Design DST. Above, we have the results with the 5Big Thunderbolt in RAID 0 - this is truly mind blowing as we haven't seen Thunderbolt stretch it legs like this until now.
RAID 1 results were pretty typical coming in at 219 MB/s read and 137 MB/s write.
In our Xbench testing we found yet another hint of the performance of the LaCie 5Big Thunderbolt and just Thunderbolt as an interface for storage solutions. If we take a look at the results, you will notice the 5Big really excels in uncached sequential write with 4K blocks at 1158 MB/s.
RAID 1 results were pretty similar in Xbench as we saw with Blackmagicdesign DST.
AJA System test is one of a few storage focused benchmarks for OS X. Here we have the 5Big Thunderbolt in RAID 0 streaming a 720p video file over 200 frames with read/write speed recorded for each frame.
Above, we have the same test run through with a 1080p video file over 200 frames. Notice we still have the same crash in throughput around frame 10-15, most likely due to the HDDs caching and the RAID overhead.
Above, we have the 720p test repeated with the 5Big in RAID 1. Notice how consistent this test run is compared to the heart monitor pace the RAID 0 was creating.
Again, with 1080p and RAID 1 this time around, the 5Big hold steady performance throughout the entire 200 frame series in writes.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Packaging and the 5Big Thunderbolt]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Single Client Throughput, Random and Sequential Workloads]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Power Consumption and Acoustics]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Thunderbolt on OS X 10.8]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ: 31.5-inch 1440p 144Hz FreeSync
- GALAX GeForce GTX 1070 Katana: hands-on with the ninja
- GALAX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti HOF Limited Edition detailed
- GALAX shows off GTX 1080 Ti HOF OC Lab Edition
- MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning Z in detail
- Intel Introduces X299, Kabylake-X, and Skylake-X
- Lian Li PC-Q25B - distance between stand and edge of case
- LaCie Bolt3 2TB Thunderbolt 3 Review
- Asrock X99 Extreme11 reports only 48GB instead of 64 GB
- H270m Pro4 Can't boot with my SSD, stuck on splash
- HyperX expand DDR4 memory with higher density kits up to 4,000MHz
- Western Digital to deliver world's first client solid state drives with 64-layer 3D NAND technology
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card