When you are looking at setting up servers for a small business or other needs, there are plenty of options for you to look at when deciding on what motherboard to use. Whether you need just a single server in tower configuration or several servers installed in a rack, you really want to have options for server management expandability and even power use and noise level.
The new GIGABYTE GA-6LXSV can fill all those roles and comes packed with features that are usually found in higher-tier motherboards. Today's server work environments are trending towards low power use and cool running machines to avoid costly air conditioning systems to keep your server room cool and that is just what the GA-6LXSV provides.
If your target application is a small business server that will be installed in a tower configuration in your office, you naturally do not want your server to make a lot of noise and the setup we tested made almost no noise at all. Power use is also a concern and with the tested system we only saw peak loads reaching 106 watts under full load, which will result in lower costs to run.
If you are installing your systems into a server rack, heat is also a big issue, and we see that the tested system runs pretty cool with only a stock Intel heat sink. Installing higher-end heat sinks will keep the system running even cooler.
When using more than one server, server management becomes a requirement and the GA-6LXSV comes installed with Aspeed AST2300, IPMI 2.0, iKVM and a ready to use BMC Management LAN port for those needs.
We have little to complain about with the GA-6LXSV. It would be nice if this motherboard could use non-ECC RAM, but that is really not needed in a server motherboard. If you plan on using this motherboard for a workstation and need 3D graphics, then you will need to install a video card of your choice.
Lack of SATA ports can also be an issue if you plan on using a large RAID system, but you are generally best suited to move these to a RAID controller card. There are also plenty of LAN ports available and also four PCIe slots that can have high speed network cards installed which should be more than enough.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Motherboard Layout]
- Page 3 [BIOS]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup]
- Page 5 [System Benchmarks]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Aware of 'let's play' videos? Here's every single one summarized
- This Grand Theft Auto IV hyper-realistic mod is better than real life
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 arrives, IGN says pop-shove it in the garbage
- The important question has been answered: Will the new iPhone 6s bend?
- Beautiful film made using only water, a 5 yen coin and an Apple iPhone
- Hi I Really Need Advice as to Where I Can Find Genuine Asmedia Drivers?
- Samsung FIT MUF-64BB 64GB USB 3.0 Pico Flash Drive Review
- Why will my video card not work?
- M.2 Drive not showing up.
- Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 Stabilty Issue!!!
- MASSIVE AUDIO Introduces DOCTOR WHO Bluetooth And Wired Headphones
- BOXX Introduces the World's Smallest Overclocked Workstation - APEXX 1
- AOC's New Full HD USB Monitor Makes the Perfect Laptop or Desktop Companion
- Feel the Power and Speed Inside Your Laptop NOX DDR4 64GB 3000MHz SO-DIMM The True Champion
- Creative Team Behind Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood Launch New Clay Animated Video Game, Armikrog