You can see the video card is pretty much identical to its big brother, the R9 280X 3GB TOXIC, with that massive three fan cooler and black PCB. We saw the cooler do an excellent job on the higher-end model, so it will be interesting to see the kind of numbers we get here today on a model that isn't quite as powerful and a bit cheaper.
Turning the card over, you can see we have a similar setup with the backplate. Having less memory, though, you can see it doesn't look quite as impressive, as it lacks the little heat sinks we saw on the 290X 3GB. We again see just how large the cooler is as it overshoots the card, and we also get an idea of the heat pipe setup.
Taking a spin around, you can see that power comes in the form of two 6-pin PCIe power connectors. This is the same power setup as the reference R9 270X 2GB. What does differ, though, is that moving to the front, we have two CrossFire connectors that give us the ability to run up to three of these cards together in CrossFireX mode, instead of just two.
We just received a new BIOS from Sapphire enabling this feature before testing. Unfortunately it's not a feature that we'll be making use of today, but we will look into it as soon as we can.
When it comes to the I/O, we've got two Dual-Link DVI connectors - one in the form of a DVI-D, and the other in the form of a DVI-I. Next to that you can also see that we've got HDMI and DisplayPort connectors.
The TOXIC 280X 3GB sacrifices one of the Dual-Link DVI connectors to a Single-Link one so it could instead have two Mini DisplayPort connectors. You can also see a vent that allows hot air to escape out the back of your case.
Like the R280X 3GB TOXIC we looked at the other day from Sapphire, we expected them to do something quite strong with the clocks here today. Looking below, you can see that they've pushed the core up to 1150MHz, which is a 100MHz overclock from the default 1050MHz clock speed that we see on the reference card.
While we know most companies choose to leave the memory clock alone, you can see looking above that Sapphire pushed the 2GB of GDDR5 up also to 6000MHz QDR. This is up from the reference clock of 5600MHz QDR.
This is a nice overclock and should bring with it a nice performance boost over the reference card. It's nice to see the memory overclocked from the factory, as it's something we don't often see.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 4 Open Beta]
- Page 21 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 22 [Temperature Test]
- Page 23 [Sound Test]
- Page 24 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 25 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Tesla founder deletes his tweet that hinted towards 'Model Y' vehicle
- Halo 5 will have a 'much more sociable' story thanks to 4-player co-op
- Pepsi launching 'Back to the Future II' bottle design
- Microsoft's Continuum turns Lumia 950s into mobile PC's
- Ubisoft announces Far Cry Primal set in Stone Age, coming 2016
- I Was Wondering If Someone Could Help Me With Driver Issue For SATA3 z97
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX 32GB USB iOS Flash Drive Review
- SSI EEB support for Lian Li high end chassis
- Need help with a build
- Force M7 Thor Mouse does not wake system?
- DOK SOLUTION UNVEILS CR09, 2 DEVICE CHARGER/CRADLE/CLOCK/SPEAKER/RADIO WITH 'SCD TECHNOLOGY' (SMART CURRENT DETECTION), NO MORE OVERCHARGING!
- FIRST CELLULAR ANDROID WEAR SMARTWATCH PREVIEWED AT LG EVENT
- LG UNVEILS V10, A SMARTPHONE DESIGNED WITH CREATIVITY IN MIND
- Marvell Teams Up with Google to Enable Chromecast 2.0 and Chromecast Audio
- GUITAR HERO LIVE PITS JAMES FRANCO AGAINST LENNY KRAVITZ IN AN EPIC ROCK BATTLE WITH THE PREMIERE OF THE 'WIN THE CROWD' LIVE-ACTION TRAILER