Test System Setup
Processor(s): AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard(s): ABIT KV8-MAX3 (Supplied by Altech Computers)
Memory(s): Mushkin 2x 256MB PC4000 (Supplied by Mushkin)
Video Card(s): ATI reference Radeon 9600 XT 128MB (Supplied by ATI), GeCube Radeon 9800 XT 256MB (Supplied by GeCube and Kingmax Australia) and Power Color Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB (Supplied by Altech Computers))
Hard Disk(s): Maxtor 80GB SATA (Supplied by Altech Computers)
Operating System Used: Windows XP Professional SP1
Drivers Used: ATI Catalyst 3.8 (no OVERDRIVE) and VIA Hyperion 4-in-1 4.49
We've put the brand new Radeon 9600 XT up against the new high-end Radeon 9800 XT and the older Radeon 9800 Pro each with 256MB of memory onboard. We used ATI Catalyst 3.8 drivers which do not feature the automatic overclocking OVERDRIVE feature. When using Catalyst 3.9 drivers and above with this feature enabled, you will generate slightly higher performance in certain instances.
All settings in the ATI control panel were left as default apart from V-SYNC being disabled. All cards had Fast Writes enabled with under AGP 8x operations. AA and AF settings were not enabled for any benchmarks.
Let's get started!
3DMark2001 SE is a part of the popular 3DMark series. By combining DirectX 8.1 support with completely new graphics (including the GeForce4), it continues to provide benchmark results that empower you to make informed hardware assessments.
In the first of our benchmarks we can see that the 9800 cards have a fair lead over the 9600 XT by around 21%. Considering these cards retail for around $575 US ($800 AU) and the 9600 XT will retail for only around $250 US ($350 AU), the benefits are clear - Less than half the price but not half the performance!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 3 [Features]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 4 [Features Continued]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 5 [Image Quality Testing]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark 2001SE]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Quake III Arena]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 11 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Cards Against Humanity sold nothing over Black Friday, still made $54k
- Das Keyboard takes $20 off keyboards, $0 shipping for holiday sales
- Remedy has finished the 'shivering' end scene in Quantum Break
- Razer injects chromatic flavor into Lenovo's new gaming PC lineup
- NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 900 series price drops for the holidays
- New ASUS Notebook: Event Log flooding with Event ID 17 warnings from WHEA-Logger
- Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- NEed help setting bios
- Sharp GX-BT7 2.1-Channel Wireless Bluetooth Speaker Review
- D-Link DCS-2630L 1080p Ultra-Wide View IP Wi-Fi Camera Review
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis