- Clock Speeds Continued
Memory speeds through the 128-bit bus have not been increased from the effective 600MHz DDR offered up by the older and already impressive performing Radeon 9600 Pro. The reference sample we received uses an 8 x 16MB configuration of high-performance Samsung K4D2632383-6C33 chips totaling 128MB which are rated for a maximum frequency of 300MHz at 2.8v.
As far as overclocking goes with this memory, we weren't able to get any higher than 330MHz - a 10% speed increase nevertheless. Any higher and all we got was visual artifacts and lots of them. With some form of cooling on the chips, you may be able to yield better overclocking results - we didn't try. You may also find add-in manufacturers may use quicker memory from other memory companies or add all sorts of fancy cooling device to push the shipping memory speeds a tad higher than what ATI specify with their reference design to get the edge over the competition.
- Power Consumption
Due to the improved 0.13 micron core of the RV360 core, no external power is required for operation. The AGP 3.0 specification is able to provide all the power it needs. This is a real benefit as it is a testament to ATI's core improvements and no longer do you have to worry about adding a FDD style power cable from your power supply.
As you can see from the picture above, ATI has used the same PCB as the Radeon 9600 Pro. All that is changed is that no power adapter is in place. This makes sense and it saves R&D dollars by spending all the time and effort to create a brand new PCB design when it isn't really needed.
- Output Connectors
As far as output connections go with the Radeon 9600 XT reference sample we have, you are given the option of displaying the image on a regular VGA or DVI monitor as well as on your TV through its S-Video connector.
As far as connections go these days, this arrangement is pretty much standard.
Now we've taken a look at the hardware features of the Radeon 9600 XT, let's examine Image Quality for a moment.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 3 [Features]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 4 [Features Continued]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 5 [Image Quality Testing]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark 2001SE]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Quake III Arena]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 11 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Some iPhone 6S handsets are running so hot they are shutting down
- Roku 4 announced, has 4K support, remote finder and much more
- Tesla founder deletes his tweet that hinted towards 'Model Y' vehicle
- Halo 5 will have a 'much more sociable' story thanks to 4-player co-op
- Pepsi launching 'Back to the Future II' bottle design
- I Was Wondering If Someone Could Help Me With Driver Issue For SATA3 z97
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX 32GB USB iOS Flash Drive Review
- SSI EEB support for Lian Li high end chassis
- Need help with a build
- Force M7 Thor Mouse does not wake system?
- FIRST CELLULAR ANDROID WEAR SMARTWATCH PREVIEWED AT LG EVENT
- LG UNVEILS V10, A SMARTPHONE DESIGNED WITH CREATIVITY IN MIND
- Marvell Teams Up with Google to Enable Chromecast 2.0 and Chromecast Audio