I really like the Phison S8 controller and have one in a notebook I use a few times a week. Somewhere along the line, I had to see for myself if the low queue depth IOPS performance was as impressive in real life, as it is on benchmark charts. For everyday use, the drive works really well and the performance is smooth. The only issues I ran into was installing a lot of software and writing to the drive hard.
Phison reduced the write latency on the S8 controller several months ago, so day-to-day computing is very fast. Windows updates take more time than say a Force GT or Samsung 840 Pro, for example, and that's about the only time when you'll really notice a large difference with this value based SSD.
Corsair doesn't plan to bring the Force LS to the USA market and that's too bad. The MSRP prices shouldn't hold up for too long regardless of the market and I think the Force Series LS will eventually become an excellent low cost, good enough performance SSD, for those looking upgrade an existing computer with an SSD.
We did notice a difference between the notebook battery life with the Force Series LS and the other Phison S8 drives we've tested. The firmware has changed so we suspect the difference rests entirely in the firmware. The Force Series LS 240GB still delivered very good battery life, but in our test, the new firmware shaved off around 10 minutes of power on time.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Corsair Force Series LS 240GB SSD]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark 8 Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Power and Thermal Testing]
- Page 14 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft rumored to launch Surface Phone in 2017
- Conjur up a free Blu-ray in our 'Conjuring 2' giveaway!
- Philadelphia 76ers acquire eSports teams Dignitas, Apex
- Horizon: Zero Dawn's story will be 'hugely enjoyable'
- Microsoft axes original Forza Horizon from store
- Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SATA III SSD Review
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- Prepping LGA2011 Build
- Unable to find BIOS update for motherboard
- Lian Li O Series Multiple Expansion card support
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now