I really like the Phison S8 controller and have one in a notebook I use a few times a week. Somewhere along the line, I had to see for myself if the low queue depth IOPS performance was as impressive in real life, as it is on benchmark charts. For everyday use, the drive works really well and the performance is smooth. The only issues I ran into was installing a lot of software and writing to the drive hard.
Phison reduced the write latency on the S8 controller several months ago, so day-to-day computing is very fast. Windows updates take more time than say a Force GT or Samsung 840 Pro, for example, and that's about the only time when you'll really notice a large difference with this value based SSD.
Corsair doesn't plan to bring the Force LS to the USA market and that's too bad. The MSRP prices shouldn't hold up for too long regardless of the market and I think the Force Series LS will eventually become an excellent low cost, good enough performance SSD, for those looking upgrade an existing computer with an SSD.
We did notice a difference between the notebook battery life with the Force Series LS and the other Phison S8 drives we've tested. The firmware has changed so we suspect the difference rests entirely in the firmware. The Force Series LS 240GB still delivered very good battery life, but in our test, the new firmware shaved off around 10 minutes of power on time.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Corsair Force Series LS 240GB SSD]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark 8 Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Power and Thermal Testing]
- Page 14 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Final Fantasy XV first impressions
- Watch Dogs 2 updated on the PC, long list of fixes
- Del Toro: F*ck Konami, killing Silent Hills was moronic
- NBA is being aired in 4K in the US this weekend
- Ubisoft: PC-like consoles was a 'good decision'
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- Fnatic Gear Clutch G1 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- X99 Professional Gaming i7 and RAM question
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset