StarTech.com specializes in designing and manufacturing and even selling a number of adapters converting one format to another along with a number of accessories to handle any need you may have. Today, we have one of their latest adapters in the form of a USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA converter.
This converter/adapter allows users the ability to connect up any 2.5" or 3.5" drive into a device which then allows access to the drives contents with the speed of USB 3.0. StarTech.com list compatibility with modern Windows operating systems, along with full Linux and Mac OS 8.6+. Warranty period for this adapter is set at two years.
The scope of delivery includes the power adapter, which has both Molex and SATA power connections. In addition to this, there is an included SATA data cable and user manual.
Looking over the adapter itself, we find everything packed into a convenient, small form factor. On the top there are several LEDs to indicate activity across each interface.
The bottom of the unit has a 44-pin EIDE/PATA interface commonly found on 2.5" IDE drives.
The top of the unit houses your standard 40-pin EIDE/PATA connection.
The end of the device houses the SATA connection.
Here we have attached our Corsair Neutron, to test the throughput capabilities of the unit.
In our first test, running ATTO Disk Benchmark, we found the StarTech device capable of 268 MB/s read and 260 MB/s write. Now these are great numbers for such a simple device, but it does allude to the device not having a SATA III capable controller.
CDM shared many of the same results with the StarTech reaching the same 268 MB/s read and 258 MB/s write.
The StarTech.com USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA adapter carries on the vision of what their business is all about, "hard to find made easy", enabling end users and business administrator to find what they need to enable their solutions. The unit carries a good depth of quality into it and at no time did I feel there were any corners cut in the manufacturing process.
Performance of the unit was ample, where we found plenty of storage throughput for any HDD and SSD for that matter. Where I would say there could be some improvement would be in the addition of a higher tier SATA controller, so we can get the true speed of USB 3.0 when using NAND flash devices.
Pricing at the time of writing is set at $53.99 with an included two year warranty. One thing is for sure with this device from StarTech.com, it enables true plug-n-play capability for legacy and modern storage devices, in one simple package.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NVIDIA's new GeForce 375.57 drivers are ready for BF1
- Sony added 1GB of DRAM to the PS4 Pro, joins 8GB GDDR5
- Oceanhorn hit record sales, teases Switch development
- New Plants Vs Zombies: Heroes launches on iOS & Android
- 30% discount with Nintendo's Europe Birthday Promotion
- GA-PH67A-UD3-B3 Resume fail after suspend with Linux
- h61m-dgs gigabyte not see DDR_A1
- BSI3H-6100 long time to post
- Patriot Memory LX 200GB microSD Memory Card Review
- ASRock problem SB fan1
- ENERMAX releases Steelwing aluminum case
- ENERMAX Platimax D.F. PSU is available now
- ENERMAX launches Revolution Duo power supply with DUOFlowTM design for active ventilation
- Razer unveils new Razer Blade Pro gaming notebook
- Nintendo Switch world premiere demonstrates new entertainment experiences from a home gaming system