StarTech.com specializes in designing and manufacturing and even selling a number of adapters converting one format to another along with a number of accessories to handle any need you may have. Today, we have one of their latest adapters in the form of a USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA converter.
This converter/adapter allows users the ability to connect up any 2.5" or 3.5" drive into a device which then allows access to the drives contents with the speed of USB 3.0. StarTech.com list compatibility with modern Windows operating systems, along with full Linux and Mac OS 8.6+. Warranty period for this adapter is set at two years.
The scope of delivery includes the power adapter, which has both Molex and SATA power connections. In addition to this, there is an included SATA data cable and user manual.
Looking over the adapter itself, we find everything packed into a convenient, small form factor. On the top there are several LEDs to indicate activity across each interface.
The bottom of the unit has a 44-pin EIDE/PATA interface commonly found on 2.5" IDE drives.
The top of the unit houses your standard 40-pin EIDE/PATA connection.
The end of the device houses the SATA connection.
Here we have attached our Corsair Neutron, to test the throughput capabilities of the unit.
In our first test, running ATTO Disk Benchmark, we found the StarTech device capable of 268 MB/s read and 260 MB/s write. Now these are great numbers for such a simple device, but it does allude to the device not having a SATA III capable controller.
CDM shared many of the same results with the StarTech reaching the same 268 MB/s read and 258 MB/s write.
The StarTech.com USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA adapter carries on the vision of what their business is all about, "hard to find made easy", enabling end users and business administrator to find what they need to enable their solutions. The unit carries a good depth of quality into it and at no time did I feel there were any corners cut in the manufacturing process.
Performance of the unit was ample, where we found plenty of storage throughput for any HDD and SSD for that matter. Where I would say there could be some improvement would be in the addition of a higher tier SATA controller, so we can get the true speed of USB 3.0 when using NAND flash devices.
Pricing at the time of writing is set at $53.99 with an included two year warranty. One thing is for sure with this device from StarTech.com, it enables true plug-n-play capability for legacy and modern storage devices, in one simple package.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Destiny 2 replaces major subclasses and abilities
- Far Cry 5 isn't a Western, set in modern day Montana
- Apple could launch the iPhone 8 and iPhone 7S this year
- Lenovo confirms smaller battery for the Moto Z2 Play
- First images of Nokia's upcoming flagship leak
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK with SSD M.2 Plextor M8PeG 256gb. low speed after shut down
- Prey Review: Dark Stars, Darker Thoughts
- Alien Covenant Movie Review
- Custom Storage Unit
- Western Digital sets new standard with latest generation in popular HGST-brand Ultrastar SAS SSD family
- AMD raises expectations for server performance, unveils EPYC processor brand for the datacenter
- HighPoint's SSD7101 PCIe board-sized drive series integrate Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs to deliver groundbreaking performance over 12GB/s
- Micron accelerates all-flash storage speed, performance and value with new flexible petabyte-scale enterprise data center solution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 and 630 mobile platforms drive advanced photography, enhanced gaming, integrated connectivity and machine learning