Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts
Coming it at $189.99 at the time of writing, the MSI Z87-GD65 really comes in at a very strong price point and under the important $200 tag. Not only is the price tag really impressive, but what you get for the price tag is what makes the board extremely appealing. Firstly, starting off with the cosmetics, the new black and red scheme seen on the Gaming series looks great. It's a color combination that has always worked and we see more and more companies jumping on it.
Feature wise, the board is also strong. We've got normal MSI features like Military Class 4, OC Genie 4 and Click BIOS 4, but the features that we really like are the Killer Networking, strong audio solution and inclusion of SATA III mSATA. Again considering the price point, these are some really nice additions to have with this board.
Out of the box, the performance of the board is strong, with it coming in ahead of a couple of other boards that were included in our graphs, and overclocking lines up with the best. While we're able to get into Windows at 5GHz like so many other motherboards, the maximum stable clock for our particular 4770K CPU on our Corsair H100 cooling solution continues to be 4.9GHz, no matter the motherboard being used.
I think what is more impressive is that under load we see the CPU reach just 87c. While this of course seems extremely high, and it is high in most regards, we see so many other motherboards skyrocket to 97c - 99c. We're definitely not going to complain about a temperature that sits 10c - 12c lower than that, and a relatively long way from throttling range.
We really have little to complain about when it comes to the MSI Z87-GD65. The bundle has a couple of extras that we're not used to seeing for a board at this price point, and features wise, you can also see a couple of things that stand out. With so many good motherboards on the market companies of course really need to do something to stand out. It feels like putting everything together here, MSI has managed to create a strong motherboard, which we have no issues recommending.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming Motherboard]
- Page 3 [BIOS]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [USB 2.0 and 3.0 Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [mSATA Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 12 [Temperature and Power]
- Page 13 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PlayStation 4 with a bonus $100 gift card as Slim nears
- How to make a living taking down hackers
- Battlefield 1 beta will run for eight days
- Turn into a certified hacker with premium training
- Samsung begins shipping its Dolby Atmos soundbars
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Performance Analysis
- Reeven Polariz RFC-04 Fan Controller Review
- Bootable RAID 0 via dual u.2 ports on x99 Designare EX
- Intel shows Merged Reality Technologies at IDF 2016
- Lenovo ThinkPad P70 Mobile Workstation Notebook Review
- ADATA launches the ultimate SU800SATA 6Gb/s 3D NAND SSD
- CAPE Audio shakes up the headphone industry with the release of Rebellion Headphones
- Tesoro announces ambidextrous, White Sharur SE Spectrum gaming mouse
- Eurocom launches worlds first GTX 1080 SLI VR-Ready laptop
- Thermaltake new Pacific RGB G1/4 PETG Tube 16mm OD 12mm ID 6 liquid-cooling fittings with 1 RGB LED lighting controller