Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts
Coming it at $189.99 at the time of writing, the MSI Z87-GD65 really comes in at a very strong price point and under the important $200 tag. Not only is the price tag really impressive, but what you get for the price tag is what makes the board extremely appealing. Firstly, starting off with the cosmetics, the new black and red scheme seen on the Gaming series looks great. It's a color combination that has always worked and we see more and more companies jumping on it.
Feature wise, the board is also strong. We've got normal MSI features like Military Class 4, OC Genie 4 and Click BIOS 4, but the features that we really like are the Killer Networking, strong audio solution and inclusion of SATA III mSATA. Again considering the price point, these are some really nice additions to have with this board.
Out of the box, the performance of the board is strong, with it coming in ahead of a couple of other boards that were included in our graphs, and overclocking lines up with the best. While we're able to get into Windows at 5GHz like so many other motherboards, the maximum stable clock for our particular 4770K CPU on our Corsair H100 cooling solution continues to be 4.9GHz, no matter the motherboard being used.
I think what is more impressive is that under load we see the CPU reach just 87c. While this of course seems extremely high, and it is high in most regards, we see so many other motherboards skyrocket to 97c - 99c. We're definitely not going to complain about a temperature that sits 10c - 12c lower than that, and a relatively long way from throttling range.
We really have little to complain about when it comes to the MSI Z87-GD65. The bundle has a couple of extras that we're not used to seeing for a board at this price point, and features wise, you can also see a couple of things that stand out. With so many good motherboards on the market companies of course really need to do something to stand out. It feels like putting everything together here, MSI has managed to create a strong motherboard, which we have no issues recommending.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming Motherboard]
- Page 3 [BIOS]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [USB 2.0 and 3.0 Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [mSATA Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 12 [Temperature and Power]
- Page 13 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Gigabyte GA-x79-UP4 rev1.0
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance