Our load tests utilize a couple of FAST ATE active load testers and a variety of other equipment such as an oscilloscope, power conditioner, temperature probe and a power consumption meter. You can read more about our standard testing approach here.
The tests performed are based around six conceivable setups that are out there and progressively load down the PSU up to the power supply's limits or 1000W, whichever comes first. Since our test equipment's limits are equal to that of the Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W power supply, we can test it to the maximum.
The above tests represent typical loads that we have measured from various systems and are meant to give a rough idea of where your computer might fall in line with our tests. Please keep in mind that each system is different and actual loads can vary greatly even with similar hardware.
Let's start by taking a look at the voltages to see how well this unit did during testing. Starting with the 12V rail, we see 1% regulation from start to finish with a total drop of .13V. The 5V rail managed to stay within 2% of specification with a total drop of .07V from start to finish. Moving towards the 3.3V rail, we see that regulation was within 2% of specification with a total voltage drop of .08V.
DC Output quality for Newton R3 1000W was good and well within specifications. During Test 1, we saw 12mV of noise on our scope. When we increased the loads in Test 3, the ripple climbed to 23mV at around half load. During Test 6 under a load of 1000W, the oscilloscope showed a maximum of 46V on noise on the 12V rail.
The Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W is rated for 80 PLUS Platinum efficiency. This means that the power supply must perform at 90%/92%/89% efficiency at 20%/50%/100% loads respectively. As you can see, the Newton R3 1000W passed on our bench, and wasn't close to failing at any point.
The Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W power supply is a unit that we had high hopes for just like its smaller brother, the 800W model. Rightfully so, the unit didn't disappoint and it shouldn't have because it has nearly identical construction as the 800W model. We don't even have the disappointment with the Taiwanese capacitors that we had last time as we already knew that they would be in there, and that it was a simple mistake that has been corrected.
That means we are left with almost pure satisfaction from the Newton R3 1000W. The voltage regulation and efficiency are spot on. The ripple suppression is good too, and while we have seen better, we really can't complain too much as it is well within ATX specifications. Add in the great cable selection and you start to see why the Newton R3 1000W is such a great package.
We aren't quite done yet though as we can't forget to mention that at $209, the Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W is one hell of a cheap 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum rated unit. Then you have to tack on the five-year warranty, which leaves you with peace of mind that your unit is going to be there for years to come.
Now we get to wrap all of that up in packing that UPS was kind enough to drop test for us and we know it will arrive safe too. All of this is what you get with the Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W power supply and that is why it is one of my new favorite 1000W power supplies, before I even consider just how damn good it looks in white.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance