Budget power supplies are usually very simplistic in the cable layout. The PowerX 550W has a little less of a traditional approach and features some cables mixed with different peripheral cables. This is nice to see as when you're building on a budget, you generally don't have a lot of peripherals and with this cable layout it is plausible that you could get away with a single peripheral cable and hide the others to keep things tidy inside the case.
The Cougar PowerX 550W features dual 12V rails. 12V1 is responsible for the Main, PCI-E and all peripheral cables, while 12V2 is responsible for nothing more than the ATX 4+4 cable. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to devote a full 22A to the auxiliary power connector, while throwing everything else on a rail that is only capable of 336W of power.
A Look Inside
There isn't too much going on inside the PowerX 550W power supply, but that's to be expected with a budget unit. There is plenty of passive cooling going and it looks like Cougar could have gone with a shorter enclosure if they really wanted to as the PCB is much shorter than the enclosure.
A single Panasonic capacitor sits on the primary side of the power supply.
Teapo capacitors litter the secondary side of the power supply.
Cougar uses their own DFT122512M 120mm fan to provide the active cooling for the PowerX 550W power supply.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Faraday Future car will have cameras instead of mirrors
- SpaceX's December launch postponed until early January
- Huawei will unveil their concept phone on December 16th
- Cassini shows first images of Saturn from new orbit
- Doom update adds Infernal Run mode, multiplayer bots
- Dk-q1 / dk-q1h
- asrock 880g pro3 codes E8>54>19
- ADATA SC660 240GB Portable SSD Review
- Will this Build be Quite, Small and powerfull ?
- Mouse skipping/jumping and audio stuttering
- Bluetooth 5 specification now available, 4x Range, 2x Speed
- Zadak511 reveals SHIELD Series with RGB DDR4 RAM and RGB SSD
- Jonsbo announces QT03A and VR2 cases, and FR-101 fan series
- Cooler Master announces the MasterCase Maker 5T
- be quiet! announces the Dark Base Pro 900 case with tempered glass window side panel