We've got a bunch of Z87 boards in our graphs today. One of the main things we want to know is how the H87 performs against the Z87 chipset from an out of the box performance perspective. Saying that we've got the recently looked at Super Micro C7Z87-OCE, alongside the ASRock Z87 OC Formula and GIGABTYE Z87X-OC.
Along with these boards we've also got the MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming and GIGABYTE X79S-UP5-WIFI for comparison.
One of the biggest differences between the H87 and Z87 chipset is that officially the H87 doesn't really offer anything in terms of overclocking abilities. Generally speaking, you should only be able to adjust the BCLK of the CPU. Since the introduction of the chipset, though, we have seen companies figure out a way to bring multiplier overclocking to the table.
We adjusted the voltage and then proceeded to adjust the multiplier to 49x, which tends to be the limit of this CPU. We got into Windows with no problem and then proceeded to do a MediaEspresso encode. Completing with no issue, we knew that we had pretty much found the overclock we would achieve today.
Nonetheless, we did head back into the BIOS to see if we could get anything more out of the setup, but as we expected, we didn't have any luck. With everything up and running, we finally finished off with a 4898.51MHz overclock or 4.9GHz as illustrated in our graphs today.
Saying all this, though, it's important to remember that the multiplier overclocking ability is something that Intel are working on removing as it does hamper the reason to buy a Z series chipset a little, especially when using just one video card. Do keep in mind that these levels of overclockability may not always be attainable in the future.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Samsung offers iPhone users $200 if they switch to a new Galaxy phone
- CryEngine 3 used for interior rendering demo, and it looks amazing
- iPhone 6S to feature upgraded 4K-capable rear-facing camera, and more
- Star Citizen's social module launches alongside v1.2 patch
- Razer launches new Nabu smartband wearable during PAX Prime
- Adam Elements iKlips iOS Lightning / USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20