Back in June, we took our second look at what Fractal Design has to offer when it comes to the power supply market. We were very pleased with what the Newton R3 800W had to offer, but it was a tad bit expensive for an 800W unit. When you're on a tighter budget and need more power, you may have to give a little to get a get a little and that is just where Fractal Design's Tesla R2 series comes into play.
The Tesla R2 series is meant to fill the gap between their entry-level Integra R2 series and the Newton R3 series. You lose some of the features that you have with the Newton R3 series, such as modular cables, but you get more power than you can get out of the Integra R2.
The model we are looking at today is the Tesla R2 1000W, which is the largest power supply available in the series, but it is available in three more wattages making the series reach from 500W to 1000W.
We can sit here all day long and talk about things, but let's just start digging into this thing and see if it ends up being worth your hard earned cash.
Specifications, Availability and Pricing
The Tesla R2 1000W power supply features a single 12V rail capable of 80A or 960W. Both the 3.3V and 5V rails are rated for 20A each with a combined maximum output of 100W. The 5VSB rail is rated for 2.5A or 12.5W. Maximum rated output for the Fractal Design Tesla R2 1000W is 1000W.
When talking about budget power supplies, it is often assumed that there are going to be a few features missing. The big difference between good and not so good budget units often lies in just which features are missing. As most would expect, the modular cables are the first to go. After that you start getting rid of the protections.
Over Temperature is usually the first to go as it requires an extra piece of hardware to monitor the temperature and parts cost money. That is just what Fractal Design has dropped with the Tesla R2. The Tesla R2 does feature SCP, OVP, OCP and OPP. All of the native cables are fully sleeved. It features an 80 PLUS Gold efficiency rating, but is not rated for 100% continuous output at 50C. Instead, Fractal Design rates it for a more modest 40C.
Fractal Design has an MSRP of $164.99 on the Tesla R2 1000W power supply. That puts the unit competitively priced with the competition and definitely makes it a great buy for someone on a tight budget. The Tesla R2 series is just making its way into the USA, but it has been available outside the USA for a little while now. For the USA folks, at the time of writing, Provantage comes in with the cheapest price of $176.65 after shipping. Even so, that still makes this a bit on the cheaper side for a 1000W unit. Fractal Design offers a rather short three year warranty on the Tesla R2 series.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 5G spec: 20Gbps down, 1 million devices per square km
- SpeedTree 8 to be shown at GDC 2017 on Amazon Lumberyard
- Oculus Rift, Gear VR could be ripped off the market soon
- Intel rocked to its Core over Ryzen, price drops begin
- Corsair's Lighting Node Pro: taking control of your LEDs
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q: Crazy Fast Gaming @ 1080p 240Hz
- LG unveils new G6 with a large fullvision display tailored to fit in one hand
- Introducing LG XPower2 with high capacity battery designed for demanding users
- Enjoy incredible performance of AMD RYZEN with BIOSTAR X370GT5 motherboard
- COLORFUL introduces iGameGTX1080 X-TOP-8G Advanced video card
- Team Group introduces its fastest SSD for gamers with T-FORCE CARDEA M.2 SSD