On the whole, the 1542 card is definitely the best companion for your needs. Not only does it allow you to connect up two external drives but you also have the option of connecting two internal Serial ATA drives or two IDE drives using converters.
One thing we are not too happy on is the reduction factor. While Serial ATA is able to transfer 150MB/s, this card is limited to 133MB/s due to the UDMA-133 chipset used and the PCI bus limitations. However, this was more then enough for our drives which were simply ATA-100 IDE, since they were the only drives available to us at the time of testing. The main complaint is the startup time - It takes over 13 seconds for the BIOS to detect the drives and continue on to the OS boot - this is something which really needs to be fixed for future versions.
The enclosure is perfect in just about every way. It's light, compact and very useful in today's mobile storage age. With easy to use operations and installations, the unit is simple to use for just about anyone who needs to run mobile storage and RAID systems.
Overall Highpoint has done a great job on its first dual drive e.SATA device. Now we need one that uses Serial ATA drives rather than IDE.
Serial ATA protocol for thinner cables
Proprietary interface ports prevents third parties from producing solutions for this device
Uses ATA-133 rather than ATA-150 protocol
Rating - 8 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Score this award-winning Bluetooth speaker for 50% off
- Blizzard talk rewards in World of Warcraft patch: 7.1
- The sales of smartwatches have dropped by more than 50%
- Scientists think they've received signals from aliens
- Intel's new Atom processor is a step closer to Skynet
- Battlefield 1: War Stories Review
- GIGABYTE Z170X-UD3 Ultra Motherboard Review
- Micro SDXC card Strontium vs Sandisk vs Samsung
- MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X 4G Review
- BP2SATA - Do I need to connect both power ports?
- Toshiba's SAS SSDs provide secure storage for NetApp FAS and E-Series arrays for enterprise applications
- Simplygon enables future of virtual development with open access to software
- Lenovo debuts commercial desktops and notebooks featuring 7th generation AMD PRO processors
- BIOSTAR unveils its GeForce GTX 1060 dual-fan video cards
- Manli announces GeForce GTX 1050 Gallardo Series video cards