On the whole, the 1542 card is definitely the best companion for your needs. Not only does it allow you to connect up two external drives but you also have the option of connecting two internal Serial ATA drives or two IDE drives using converters.
One thing we are not too happy on is the reduction factor. While Serial ATA is able to transfer 150MB/s, this card is limited to 133MB/s due to the UDMA-133 chipset used and the PCI bus limitations. However, this was more then enough for our drives which were simply ATA-100 IDE, since they were the only drives available to us at the time of testing. The main complaint is the startup time - It takes over 13 seconds for the BIOS to detect the drives and continue on to the OS boot - this is something which really needs to be fixed for future versions.
The enclosure is perfect in just about every way. It's light, compact and very useful in today's mobile storage age. With easy to use operations and installations, the unit is simple to use for just about anyone who needs to run mobile storage and RAID systems.
Overall Highpoint has done a great job on its first dual drive e.SATA device. Now we need one that uses Serial ATA drives rather than IDE.
Serial ATA protocol for thinner cables
Proprietary interface ports prevents third parties from producing solutions for this device
Uses ATA-133 rather than ATA-150 protocol
Rating - 8 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- GIGABYTE's Aorus brand is ready for next-gen GPUs
- Survive the 'Inferno' in our latest Blu-ray giveaway
- Samsung's inquiry blames batteries for the Note7 fiasco?
- Nioh is finalized and ready for production
- Halo 6 might be finished as Project Scorpio launch game
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- Can't Find PC-O10 Riser Kit
- Help overclocking x5460 / GA-EP43-UD3L past 3.99ghz
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99