I have to admit, I expected much, much more from OUYA. I backed them to the tune of 2.5x the retail price, had my console delivered after it hit retail, and my Limited Edition username-etched controllers still haven't shipped yet.
When a company makes more than $8.5 million from its consumers, you'd better be damn ready to keep your original backers happy before you even begin dumping them onto retail shelves. The entire OUYA experience has been a mess from start to finish.
Sure, it's $99 - but is there even $99 of value there yet? I don't think so. The console is laggy, the controller is laughable at times, and the entire experience is hit and miss. Some people don't experience that many issues, but then there are some that experience large issues, too.
I was in the middle where some of my games worked perfectly, and some of them lagged and the input from the controller was laggy. The controller itself would have a hard time registering the press of the button, or the button would be caught on the plastic to the side of the button - annoying, to say the least.
Then there's a question that I'm sure I'll be asked in the future: would I buy an OUYA now? No. I would not. I don't fully regret my decision, because I knew what I was getting myself in for. But would I want someone else putting themselves through that? No.
I've given the OUYA console a TweakTown rating of 60%, because for $99 it's an impulse buy. "It's just $99, I could buy it and see what everyone is talking about". There are a few games that I played with my niece and nephew and had a few laughs over, but it's nothing memorable.
Give the OUYA a miss, but if $99 isn't too much for you and you want to see what all the fuss is over, or if you're a modder - then take a look. But don't say I didn't warn you.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Google Contributor reduces website ads for monthly fee
- AMD Radeon Settings, Crimson Edition driver released
- Microsoft says its worker cutback affected staff diversity
- Sony tells users not to upgrade to Windows 10
- Increase in card use ensures China's payment fraud rises
- Upgrade RAM on G11CD system assistance
- C2750D4I - BMC Update Failed
- X99 Extreme 6/3.1 Bios Update to support Samsung 950 Pro M.2.
- PC-A04 case top USB Multi-Media I/O ports replacement
- Asrock H170M-ITX\ac Windows 10 fresh install
- EASARS Unveils World of Tanks and Team RIVAL Licensed Gaming Gear
- G.SKILL Boosts DDR4 8GB Module Speed Up to 4133MHz 16GB
- Sharkoon Announces SHARK ZONE K20 Gaming Keyboard
- EK Releases Monoblock for GIGABYTE Z170X Motherboards
- BROFORCE AIR-DROPS HUGE POST LAUNCH UPDATE BECAUSE FREEDOM CANNOT BE CONTAINED