The HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 (HUS724040ALS64) is a SAS 3.5" 7,200 RPM HDD in a traditional 3.5" form factor. The 7K4000 is geared for a multitude of uses in the datacenter, from NAS, RAID, disk-to-disk backup and replication, to cloud storage an Massive Scale Out (MSO) architectures. The 7K4000 comes in capacities of 2TB, 3TB and 4TB.
The 7K4000 is also available in both 6Gb/s SAS and SATA versions, allowing administrators to adjust to the service level required for their individual environments. The SAS interface provides HA (High Availability) features such as failover and multipath, and the more robust feature SAS feature set.
An HDD designed for such a wide range of applications has to offer large capacity, fast consistent performance and a low power threshold to minimize long term TCO. The HGST 7K4000 has a number of features that make it particularly well suited for these applications, beginning with speed.
The SAS version of the 7K4000 we are testing offers up a sustained data transfer rate of 172 MB/s, while the SATA models feature speeds of 171/181 MB/s depending upon the capacity point. The 7K4000 also touts a seek time of 8.0ms delivered via five 800GB platters, an increase of 33% more capacity from the previous 7K3000. Both SAS and SATA drives feature 64MB of cache, though the SAS version uses 512/520/528 sector sizes in comparison to the SATA model with its 4K Advanced Format and 512 byte emulation (512e) and legacy format (512n).
The 7K4000 also features great power consumption characteristics, with 24% lower Watts per GB than the 3TB Ultrastar 7K 3000 predecessor. The focus on power efficiency has spawned five Advanced Power Management modes, which create a 59% reduction in power consumption in comparison to the peak output and can pull a less than 1 Watt total in standby and sleep modes.
After we look at speeds and feeds, the eye turns to reliability, and the 7K4000 does not disappoint. It is designed for 600,000 load/unload cycles and 24x7 usage in multi-drive environments, and to combat the high vibration in server racks, the drives utilize a Dual Stage Actuator (DAS) and Enhanced Rotational Vibration Safeguard (RVS). These enhanced technologies play a part in a standard 1 in 10^15 non-recoverable read bit error rate. The real meat of the reliability picture comes from the whopping 2,000,000 hour MTBF rating. This is nearly double the MTBF of other HDDs in this class, including those used for comparison in our performance testing. This tremendous MTBF results in an AFR (Annualized Failure Rate) reduction of 40%.
Rounding this impressive feature set out with optional TCG Enterprise-A encryption for the SAS models creates a solid, well-rounded product backed by an industry leading five year warranty.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Razer injects chromatic flavor into Lenovo's new gaming PC lineup
- NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 900 series price drops for the holidays
- Rumor: Sony unlocks PS4's seventh core to boost performance
- Ubisoft promises Rainbow Six: Siege will be fixed before it launches
- LG is investing billions of dollars into OLED production
- Sharp GX-BT7 2.1-Channel Wireless Bluetooth Speaker Review
- D-Link DCS-2630L 1080p Ultra-Wide View IP Wi-Fi Camera Review
- ID-Cooling Frostflow 240L CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- Lexar JumpDrive M20i 32GB OTG iOS Flash Drive Review
- Gibabyte GA-Z170X- Gaming 7 Supported RAM (2 x16Gb or 4 x 8GB) ?
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis