Addressing performance challenges in dense environments with strict power constraints is essential in today's datacenter. The addition of an extra 300GB of capacity extends Seagate's portfolio of high performance 10,000 RPM HDD's, and also helps to fend off the SSD challengers, as they continue to gain capacity in the 2.5" form factor.
An additional platter helps increase density and delivers more storage, while the T-10 compliant Power Choice technology allows users to tailor systems for optimal performance and power usage. In power testing, the Seagate Enterprise Performance 10K v7 exhibited higher power consumption in comparison to the previous generation 10K v6.
This level of power consumption is a necessary trade-off to achieve the higher density in such a small form factor. In comparison to 3.5" 10K HDDs, the 10K v7 still holds an advantage that will benefit users moving to the smaller and more efficient 2.5" drives.
In performance testing, the Seagate Enterprise Performance performed within range of the 10K v6. The 10K v7 trailed by an average of five IOPS in our server emulations. In our random mixed workload testing, the Enterprise Performance 10K v7 held its own against the 10K v6, matching its performance across the board. In Fileserver testing, the Enterprise Performance 10K v7 pulled ahead by a large margin and outperformed the 10K v6 in IOPS to Watts as well. In sequential read/write workloads, the extra platter and heads rose to the challenge, and the current generation 10K v7 pulled ahead of the 10K v6 and delivered better latency and performance.
The Seagate Enterprise Performance is available with both standard encryption and FIPS 140-2 certified encryption. Encryption, and the extra FIPS layer, provides users with a means of securing their data. The Seagate Instant Secure Erase functionality rounds out the data security features.
Seagate is utilizing the Enterprise Performance 10K v7 as a standalone 1.2TB solution that serves as essentially a higher capacity extension of the previous generation 10K v6. In our testing, we experienced consistent performance, that only varied by slight percentage points with the previous generation of products.
The increased power consumption affected the IOPS to Watts ratio of the 10K v7, and overall the smaller capacity 10K v6 series are a more economical solution. In comparison to competing 3.5" 10K HDDs, the Enterprise Performance 10K v7 is still a far more efficient solution, so the higher power consumption metrics must be taken with a grain of salt.
Packing 1.2TB of capacity into a small form factor with solid performance and reliability was the goal, and the 10K v7 delivers. The Seagate Enterprise Performance 10K v7 performed within expectations, and with a 2.0 million hour MTBF and a five year warranty, customers can expect reliable performance over the long term.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NVIDIA to unveil next-gen GeForce on the same day as Battlefield 5
- NVIDIA's next-gen video cards will be available at retail in June
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided trailer details augmentations, and more
- Apple Music update brings videos, family plan to Android
- Windows 10 upgrade nag screen interrupts weather lady
- Six Windows Applications Free Pack
- Creative Sound Blaster Roar Pro Bluetooth Portable Speaker Review
- Thecus N5810 Consumer NAS Review
- Cold double post on Z77X-UD5H
- Lian Li PC-X510 question about resonance sound
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience
- Seagate now shipping 10TB helium enterprise drive in volume
- ENERMAX announces the new DFR technology with D.F.PRESSURE
- World's first 24/7 esports TV channel launched