There are a few questions here that pop up:
- Did we expect it to beat the MAX3 in any of the benchmarks?
- Did we expect it to be so close to the MAX3?
Firstly, we did not expect the XPC to beat the MAX3 in any benchmarks. The MAX3 from ABIT is simply a faster motherboard and so it should be considering its using the faster Canterwood chipset. What did surprise was the fact that it was so close to the MAX3. Considering the price of the MAX3, for an extra couple of hundred dollars you could get yourself a nice XPC. Sure, it's not the best overclocker in the market and it does cater for a different market but at the end of the day it's going to be up to you what you want from a system and what you are prepared to spend.
One thing that differs from this XPC compared to some of the others we have seen is the decision to have the AGP slot on the outside compared to the inside. This prevents you from using a GeForce FX card that takes up two slots as it hangs to the left. Maybe we are seeing some plot against nVidia by Shuttle (or nothing at all, for the record!), I guess though we will never know, none the less all of the latest ATI cards won't have a problem fitting in snugly.
We have a fantastic little computer here that a lot of people will love. If you're someone who loves lots of hard drives you will quickly discover that the XPC won't fit your six hard drives pretty quickly - just like I did.
We can only assume that the Canterwood version of the XPC will be quicker and may be able to keep up if not pass the MAX3 from ABIT. Shuttle has been doing a lot with the XPC market lately and if Computex 2003 in Taiwan was anything to go by, we should be seeing a lot more exciting products from them in the near future as well as other manufacturing trying desperately to get themselves a piece of the pie.
Only at the last minute of writing this review did we receive the new BIOS from Shuttle and we had absolutely no luck with it. While memory performance was up everything else was down. The new BIOS doesn't change our opinion one bit on this excellent product though and we do recommend you keep the older one for the time being.
Excellent Performance (with older BIOS) from Springdale chipset
ATI video cards will fit
Built-in 802.11B wireless will be handy for some
New GeForce FX cards that take up two slots will not fit
Costly for some people
Only 802.11B wireless...but does it make a difference?
Only two hard drive spaces
New BIOS is far from a pro
Rating - 9 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Shuttle SB65G2 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Shuttle SB65G2 - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Shuttle SB65G2 - Page 3 [First Look and Diving In]
- Shuttle SB65G2 - Page 4 [Diving In Continued]
- Shuttle SB65G2 - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra]
- Shuttle SB65G2 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - PCMark 2002]
- Shuttle SB65G2 - Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 2001]
- Shuttle SB65G2 - Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 2003]
- Shuttle SB65G2 - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- Shuttle SB65G2 - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- Shuttle SB65G2 - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Quake 3]
- Shuttle SB65G2 - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight 2]
- Shuttle SB65G2 - Page 13 [Shuttle's Latest BIOS]
- Shuttle SB65G2 - Page 14 [ClearView]
- Shuttle SB65G2 - Page 15 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MacBook Pro GPU issues caused by software, not AMD
- HP's new supercomputer is 8000x faster than your PC
- AMD's Zen-capable X370 boards preview on December 13
- AMD's next-gen Vega 10 leaks - are they the real deal?
- Don't press new 'Guardians of the Galaxy' trailer button
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- Fnatic Gear Clutch G1 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- X99 Professional Gaming i7 and RAM question
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset