When you purchase a SilverStone product whether it is a chassis, power supply or storage accessory, one thing you can always expect is quality. If you have recently purchased a chassis in the Milo, Sugo or Fortress series then stayed tuned because we have a must have accessory for your build.
The SOB02 is the perfect solution for anyone that has recently decided to build their next rig in one of the aforementioned chassis. Featuring a slim slot loading design, this 6x Blu-ray writer can write your standard CD at 24x and DVD single layer media at 8x. If you are into double layer media, then you will be happy to know that SOB02 can also write double layer DVD's at 6x and of course Blu-ray single and double layer at 6x too. This drive carries a one year warranty from SilverStone.
For our review, SilverStone was kind enough to send along the SST-FP58B that allowed us to install the slot loading Blu-ray writer along with four 2.5" drives into a single bay in our chassis.
Opening the packaging, we found the SOB02 secured in thick foam.
A quick look over the drive, we see it is manufactured by Panasonic with the model number UJ265.
The front of the drive houses the slot loading face with the eject button and activity LED to the left.
The I/O port of the SOB02 uses a standard SATA connection with the power portion looking to be a proprietary connection.
The FP58B, which allows installing the slim SOB02 into a chassis, has all the slot loading characteristics, including a dust screen built into the slot.
Above you can see the layout of the FP58B. At the top, we have room for our slim Blu-ray writer, with enough room below for four 2.5" drives.
Here we have installed the SOB02 into the FP58B, along with filling the drive bays with four 2.5" drives. As you may notice, the SOB02 comes with an angled SATA and power connection. This allows for space savings inside chassis with space restrictions.
Here we have ran Nero Info Tool on the drive so you can see supported features.
Creating a disc with Nero DiscSpeed, we ended the benchmark at a speed of 2x. Note that in order to reach 6x on single and dual layer media, you must burn the disc in CAV mode.
For benchmarking, we used single layer Verbatim media, as it is highly respected as the best available. Above we found the drive to reach 6x speeds in CLV mode.
The SilverStone SOB02 with its slim form factor and slot loading features is the perfect companion for those of you building in any of the chassis I mentioned above. Actually, it truly is a necessary accessory. For those of you that choose to build in full-tower chassis, adding the FP58B will clean up your build, allowing you to have full burning capabilities and even four SSDs in the drive slots below.
Performance of the SOB02 was on par with marketing specifications, at 6x. In fact, while using this drive, I had the chance to back up quite a bit of my Blu-ray collection by ripping them to MKV files with full HD audio, a process that took about an hour per disc. Adding to the value of the SOB02, SilverStone includes a copy of CyberLink PowerDVD 9 BD with the drive.
Pricing of the SOB02 at the time of writing is set at $149.99, adding the FP58B to your order will set you back another $24.99.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Valve's future games might beam directly into your brain
- Gabe Newell: Portal 2 is Valve's best single-player game
- Resident Evil 7 will enjoy free DLC chapter post-launch
- Gabe on Half-Life 3: 'the number 3 must not be said'
- Watch Dogs 2's new patch is better on RAM, and more
- How to get larger than 2TB HD to work on GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0
- G skill Trident Z 32GB ( 2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 Cas 15
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99