HD Tune Pro
Version and / or Patch Used: 4.00
Developer Homepage: http://www.efdsoftware.com
Product Homepage: http://www.hdtune.com
HD Tune is a Hard Disk utility which has the following functions:
Benchmark: measures the performance
Info: shows detailed information
Health: checks the health status by using SMART
Error Scan: scans the surface for errors
HD Tune Pro gives us accurate read, write and access time results and for the last couple of years has gained popularity amongst reviewers. It is now considered a must have application for storage device testing.
In the charts today, we'll have the 840 EVO with and without RAPID Mode. Some of the charts will be a little wonky since RAPID elevates the performance so much in some tests. Unlike other cache solution like NVELO's Dataplex or Intel's built-in chipset + SSD, we didn't need to run the tests twice to see a performance increase. The results shown are from our standard, every day, every product, performance test suite.
In the first test, reading sequential data across the span of the drive, the 840 EVO does well. RAPID increases the minimum transfer speed, but doesn't take the performance to the next level.
The 840 EVO has a couple of levels of cache and below we'll show them plotted on a chart. The TLC area of the drive actually only writes at around 250MB/s, but the SLC mode area writes at roughly 440MB/s. In this test, RAPID writes right around 1GB/s. This test uses 64KB blocks.
HD Tach - Sequential Write Performance after Random Writes
We're using RAPID in this plot and we can see the different stages of write performance. RAPID starts at the left and then trails off. It's important to note that the RAPID performance isn't just a one shot, 1GB of space and quit boost. This test uses 128KB blocks sequentially. After RAPID you can see the SLC tier and finally the TLC tier. At the end of the TLC tier you can see the drive freaking out. That's the latency involved with losing spare area mixed with aggressive garbage collection. It's like in Star Wars, in the garbage chute when the walls are closing in. That's the same level of panic the controller is going into.
It's important to understand that under regular use no one writes the full span of their SSD, at least not all at once and not in just a few minutes. The testing tools on this page came well before SSDs hit the market.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Samsung 840 EVO 250GB]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Secure, Powerful Hard Drive Storage for 20% Off
- Turtle Beach shows off Star Wars Battlefront-themed headphones
- Head of Islamic State Cyber Caliphate killed by drone strike
- Scosche launches the boomBOTTLE+ waterproof Bluetooth speaker
- XCOM 2 delayed to 2016 on all platforms
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20