HD Tune Pro
Version and / or Patch Used: 4.00
Developer Homepage: http://www.efdsoftware.com
Product Homepage: http://www.hdtune.com
HD Tune is a Hard Disk utility which has the following functions:
Benchmark: measures the performance
Info: shows detailed information
Health: checks the health status by using SMART
Error Scan: scans the surface for errors
HD Tune Pro gives us accurate read, write and access time results and for the last couple of years has gained popularity amongst reviewers. It is now considered a must have application for storage device testing.
In the charts today, we'll have the 840 EVO with and without RAPID Mode. Some of the charts will be a little wonky since RAPID elevates the performance so much in some tests. Unlike other cache solution like NVELO's Dataplex or Intel's built-in chipset + SSD, we didn't need to run the tests twice to see a performance increase. The results shown are from our standard, every day, every product, performance test suite.
In the first test, reading sequential data across the span of the drive, the 840 EVO does well. RAPID increases the minimum transfer speed, but doesn't take the performance to the next level.
The 840 EVO has a couple of levels of cache and below we'll show them plotted on a chart. The TLC area of the drive actually only writes at around 250MB/s, but the SLC mode area writes at roughly 440MB/s. In this test, RAPID writes right around 1GB/s. This test uses 64KB blocks.
HD Tach - Sequential Write Performance after Random Writes
We're using RAPID in this plot and we can see the different stages of write performance. RAPID starts at the left and then trails off. It's important to note that the RAPID performance isn't just a one shot, 1GB of space and quit boost. This test uses 128KB blocks sequentially. After RAPID you can see the SLC tier and finally the TLC tier. At the end of the TLC tier you can see the drive freaking out. That's the latency involved with losing spare area mixed with aggressive garbage collection. It's like in Star Wars, in the garbage chute when the walls are closing in. That's the same level of panic the controller is going into.
It's important to understand that under regular use no one writes the full span of their SSD, at least not all at once and not in just a few minutes. The testing tools on this page came well before SSDs hit the market.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Samsung 840 EVO 250GB]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- CyberPowerPC's new Ryzen PCs: from $983 up to $2399
- AMD's cheaper Ryzen 5/Ryzen 3 CPUs should launch in Q2
- AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4GHz, 1800X performance for $329
- NVIDIA has 70.5% GPU market share, AMD has 29.5%
- AMD Radeon RX 580 benchmarks leaked, is this Vega?
- BIOSTAR RACING B250GT5 Unboxing and User Experience
- ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA A2 Error Code with Hardware Component Failure Beeps
- Does anyone from Thermaltake view this forum anymore?
- Is any one from Thermaltake viewing this forum anymore?
- Lian Li A61 5.25 devices
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications