Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
Our 840 EVO 250GB sample arrived in the Basic Kit (bare drive plus software disk). The box and color scheme remind me of another EVO product, the Ducati 848 EVO Superbike in matte black. Not a bad look and the reference is fitting. The 840 EVO plays the role of mid-level to the 1198 Superbike, like the EVO plays mid-level to 840 PRO. I'd say someone in Samsung's marketing department is a fellow Ducati rider.
A few product details are located on the back of the package as well as the package contents.
Inside the package we found the drive, two paper manuals, the software disk and two Samsung Activated stickers.
Here we get our first look at the new 840 EVO. Like Samsung's previous two consumer SSD generations, the EVO uses a 7mm z-height for increased compatibility with new ultrabooks, notebooks and desktops with an optional (Desktop Kit) adapter bracket.
All of the drive information is on the back of the drive.
The 7mm z-height standard uses the same mounting points as 9.5 and 15mm drives.
SATA power and data connectors are also in the same location as well.
There will be a few surprises today and this is the first. The 250GB 840 EVO uses a very small PCB with a controller, a low power DRAM chip and only two NAND packages, one on each side of the PCB.
I have to admit I was surprised to see this configuration myself. Nearly every component on the PCB is marked Samsung.
It's interesting the details we started noticing after purchasing a thermal imaging camera. The controller is the hottest component on the PCB and flash is sensitive to heat. It loses endurance as the temperature increases. Samsung placed the other NAND flash package on the opposite end of the controller.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Samsung 840 EVO 250GB]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.