Taking our first look you can see that large Twin Frozr IV cooler with two 10cm fans sitting on top, as well as a massive heat sink underneath and a bunch of heat pipes coming out behind the shroud. Being a Lightning model also means we've got a black and yellow color scheme, which is of course different to the black and red theme, which we've been seeing from the new Gaming Series.
While we don't normally bother looking at the back of video cards these days, the inclusion of the GPU Reactor on the Lightning series means that it's a bit more interesting. You can also see we've got a shroud over the entire back. This makes for a really great looking product that both looks and feels fantastic.
Normally we see the V-Check points for MSI cards at the top, but you can see here that the three points are sitting at the back. These are used to measure the voltage of the GPU, Memory and PLL directly. This is one of those features that most people probably won't use as it's aimed for hardcore overclockers who use LN2 and need to keep track of the voltage levels in these key areas at all times.
MSI has upgraded from the 6-pin and 8-pin PCIe power connector setup to a dual 8-pin PCIe power connector setup. Moving over to the front you can see two SLI connectors. Due to the large cooler, you can see how a normal SLI connector wouldn't work, so in the event you want to run two or three of these bad boys together, it's great knowing that a longer flexible SLI cable has been included in the bundle for you.
When it comes to the I/O, it's very standard from a connection point of view. You can see we've got two Dual-Link DVI ports - one DVI-D the other DVI-I. Along with them we've got a HDMI and DisplayPort connector. The big stand out here, though, is the gold plated connectors - something that we've seen on Lightning cards for a while now.
Like most companies, MSI has chosen to leave the 2GB of GDDR5 alone, you can see below it carries the default 7012MHz QDR clock. As for the core, though, MSI has given that a nice bump. That's moved from 1046MHz to 1150MHz. These clocks are then pushed even higher via boost with the reference card coming in at 1085MHz and the MSI one being boosted all the way up to 1202MHz.
Of course Lightning cards are all about overclocking and that's exactly what we intend to do today. You can see we managed to push the core up to 1215MHz, which is boosted even higher to a strong 1267MHz via Boost. As for the 2GB of GDDR5, that came in at 7480MHz QDR.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Pepsi launching 'Back to the Future II' bottle design
- Microsoft's Continuum turns Lumia 950s into mobile PC's
- Ubisoft announces Far Cry Primal set in Stone Age, coming 2016
- KitGuru editor in chief apologizes for 'inflammatory' AMD article
- Intel Battery Optimizer Android app now cleans, too
- I Was Wondering If Someone Could Help Me With Driver Issue For SATA3 z97
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX 32GB USB iOS Flash Drive Review
- SSI EEB support for Lian Li high end chassis
- Need help with a build
- Force M7 Thor Mouse does not wake system?
- Be Quiet! Announces Silent Base 600 Case Series
- PNY releases the Mini-mobile HP v165w USB 2.0 Flash Drive
- The Crew WILD RUN PC CLOSED BETA WILL BE PLAYABLE FROM OCTOBER 15TH TO OCTOBER 19TH 2015
- MLG Announces Broadcast Talent for World Finals in New Orleans
- Patriot Announces New Viper 4 3600MHz Dual-Channel Memory Kit