LaCie 5big NAS Pro
Here we get our first good look at the LaCie 5big NAS Pro. LaCie has a couple of different models that look identical from three of the four sides. The blue sphere in the middle lights up a nice blue color when the unit is on. If the NAS has a problem or when you are formatting an array, the blue sphere softly changes between blue and red.
Both of the sides are identical, solid and silver.
For the most part we're concerned with the back of the unit since this is where all of the tech goodness is at.
All of the connections are along the bottom of the 5big NAS Pro.
The HDD bays lock into play but this is mainly so they don't call out during transport. Any penny or finger nail can unlock the door.
The NAS circulates air from the bottom of the NAS to the top and it escapes through these vents. LaCie uses a Noctua fan, one of my personal favorites in the system. Noctua is the leader in quiet fan design, you can't hear the fan at all even when very close to the NAS.
Since the air flows in through the bottom, it's important to keep your 5big off of carpet and to dust under the NAS regularly.
We always look for good NAS isolation because you don't want vibration from the HDDs to rattle a desk or file cabinet. The theory goes the other way as well, vibration isn't good for HDDs when spinning.
Our unit shipped with five 2TB Seagate HDDs. The drives are numbered and stickers cover the screws for warranty purposes.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Hardware Specifications and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Software Features]
- Page 4 [Packaging]
- Page 5 [LaCie 5big NAS Pro]
- Page 6 [Configuration Menus]
- Page 7 [Test System Setup]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - 1 HDD / JBOD]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - 4 HDD / RAID 0]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 4 HDD / RAID 5]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - 4 HDD / RAID 6 and Single Client Wrap-up]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Multi-Client Test]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- R.I.P. Gene Wilder
- Halo 5: Forge PC footage debuts in 4K
- Battlefield 1's Rush features lots of vehicles, timer
- Access over 300,000 TV shows with SelectTV
- VW tease electric vehicle, 300 miles on 15-minute charge
- Samsung EVO 256GB microSDXC Memory Card Review
- Asrock z170 gaming k4/d3 and the f-stream tuning program
- I Need A Fan Controller
- ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 not posting - error 69, 72, ......
- Memory Slot Issue - Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac
- HyperX introduces new ALLOY gaming keyboard
- ADATA launches the ultimate SU800SATA 6Gb/s 3D NAND SSD
- CAPE Audio shakes up the headphone industry with the release of Rebellion Headphones
- Tesoro announces ambidextrous, White Sharur SE Spectrum gaming mouse
- Eurocom launches worlds first GTX 1080 SLI VR-Ready laptop