NAS products are equal parts hardware performance and software features. One compliments the other in a balanced product. You need more hardware performance to run more software features at the same time.
The software features list seems tame in comparison to some of the massive lists we publish from other NAS manufactures. Covered are the essentials that a majority of users will take advantage of. Leaving off specialty packages reduces complexity and actually helps end users in the market LaCie is targeting.
LaCie's press release covers the new features introduced today.
pARIS, FRANCE - LaCie today updated its NAS OS 3 to version 3.1, increasing RAID 5 write speeds by 25 percent, expanding hybrid cloud capabilities, and adding more professional features. NAS OS 3 powers the LaCie 5big NAS Pro and 2big NAS professional storage solutions. These improvements advance LaCie's commitment to providing its customers with innovative and user-friendly NAS.
RAID 5 SPEED BOOST
With this update, the LaCie 5big NAS Pro now features RAID 5 write speeds up to 100MB/s on a single LAN, a 25 percent increase from the previous NAS OS version. This speed boost enables admins to easily back up several computers at the same time. Alternatively, content creators can edit 1080p content directly from the NAS.
HYBRID CLOUD ADVANCEMENTS
In addition to letting users sync data between a computer and the cloud, NAS OS 3.1 now lets users sync data between a computer and the NAS. This ensures that all employees have the most current version of files on all their devices. Sync makes sure that an employee in sales, for example, will always have the most up-to-date price list and can pull marketing collateral from their phone or tablet during a sales pitch.
MORE PROFESSIONAL FEATURES
NAS OS 3 now features hardware monitoring that alerts the admin in real-time of potential issues with the fan, CPU and RAM. It also features SMART hard disk diagnostic tests and hardware status email alerts. These new capabilities let admins stay on top of data security and prevent downtime.
LaCie has also added support for multiple iSCSI initiators and targets. This brings flexibility to a company's virtualization scheme, including those that integrate Citrix, VMware or Hyper-V servers. Admins can combine storage into data center arrays while letting host computers mount network storage as if it were direct-attached disks. They can even host multiple virtual machines using several iSCSI targets.
LACIE NAS SOLUTIONS FOR PROFESSIONALS
The LaCie 5big NAS Pro and 2big NAS, powered by NAS OS 3, offer fast and secure professional network storage. These solutions feature true hybrid cloud integration with network-attached and secure cloud storage in a single view, giving users anywhere and anytime access to files. With speed, reliability, usability, and backup for PC or Mac, these products are ideal for small business network storage needs.
The NAS OS 3 update (version 3.1) is available for 5big NAS Pro and 2big NAS and offers full compatibility with Windows XP, Windows VistaÒ, Windows 7 and Windows 8, and Mac OS 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8. The upgrade can be downloaded at no cost by visiting the "Support" widget in the product's Dashboard.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Hardware Specifications and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Software Features]
- Page 4 [Packaging]
- Page 5 [LaCie 5big NAS Pro]
- Page 6 [Configuration Menus]
- Page 7 [Test System Setup]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - 1 HDD / JBOD]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - 4 HDD / RAID 0]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 4 HDD / RAID 5]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - 4 HDD / RAID 6 and Single Client Wrap-up]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Multi-Client Test]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Halo Wars Definitive Edition teased on PC with Steam
- MSI's mini-ITX Trident 3 Arctic gaming PC rocks GTX 1070
- Final Fantasy VII Remake has destructible environments
- HTC's Snapdragon 835 powered flagship leaks - the HTC U
- Final Fantasy XIV free trial now has unlimited time
- NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- Window side panel for PC-V1020
- DDR3 RAM question
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- GIGABYTE AX370-Gaming 5 (AMD X370) Motherboard Review
- MSI announces frosty limited edition Trident 3 Arctic gaming PC
- ADATA adds the i-Memory AI920 jet black flash drive
- FinalWire releases AIDA64 Extreme 5.90 benchmark software
- ASUS announces support for Intel Optane memory
- Thermaltake releases new View 28 RGB Gull-Wing window ATX mid-tower chassis series with Tt LCS Certified and unique 256-color RGB matrix design