We would like to thank the following companies for supplying and supporting us with our test system hardware and equipment: Intel, ASUS, MSI, Western Digital, MemoRight and Corsair.
Looking above you can see our standard testbed setup. As for the boards that will be going into our graphs here today, as we've mentioned before, each review we do on the new Z87 chipset means we're slowly adding more and more boards into the mix.
Today alongside our GIGABYTE Z87X-UD3H which we'll be running at both stock and overclocked speeds, we'll also have the recently reviewed MSI MPOWER MAX and ASRock Z87 OC Formula from the Z87 side. We've also got two Z77 boards via the ASUS P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt and the MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming. Finally we finish off with the GIGABYTE X79S-UP5-Wi-Fi.
If you missed it earlier in the introduction, we'll mention it again now. Today we've been fortunate enough to get our hands on a new i7 4770k CPU that is said to overclock better than the original one we received which maxed out at 4.7GHz. Heading into the new BIOS we did all the normal tuning, adjusted our voltages in key areas and moved the multiplier around to see what we could get out of the chip.
We went straight to 50x as we've been told that 5GHz was possible on this chip. Our machine booted up straight away and we got into Windows with no problem. Everything was looking good, so we fired up MediaEspresso to see if we could complete a run in that. While everything was looking strong, after a while we got a BSOD, so we knew that 5GHz wasn't going to be the number for us.
We figured before we gave up on 5GHz, though, we'd head into the BIOS and see if we could do anything else with the voltages. We tried and while we got the system a bit more stable by getting to a higher part in the encode process, we would always eventually end up seeing a BSOD.
We then moved back into the BIOS and moved to a 49x multiplier. As we expected the system booted no problem and we got into Windows without an issue. With 5GHz not being an issue at this point, we knew that 4.9GHz would be fine. We then fired up MediaEspresso to start our encode process again to see just how far we could get.
This time we had the encode complete. So with everything looking good with a 49x Multiplier and a 100 BCLK, we headed back into the BIOS to see if we could adjust the BCLK a little and up the core clock a little higher than 4.9GHz.
In the end we managed to bump up the BCLK by just .5. It's not much, but it's enough to boost us up a little more than 25MHz more bringing our final clock speed in at 4926.54MHz or 4.93GHz as displayed in our graphs here today. This is of course the best clock we've managed to receive out of an i7 4770k CPU to date, but it's important to remember we're using a new CPU that we knew would offer a higher overclock from the outset.