Specifications, Pricing and Availability
The new Plextor PX-M5M is the company's first mSATA product. Available in three capacity sizes, the M5M follows Plextor's highly popular M5 Pro Xtreme with the same Marvell 88SS9187 controller and Toshiba 19nm Type C NAND flash.
Although Plextor wasn't able to use all 8 channels from the controller, they still managed to pull a lot of performance with a 4-channel layout. The largest capacity size, 256GB, the same we're looking at today, reads sequential data at 540MB/s and writes sequential data at 430MB/s. Random performance with the 256GB M5M comes in at 79K read and 77K write. The performance scales down through the capacity size range - smaller products have weaker write performance.
Many of Plextor's buzzwords associated with the company's other products made its way into the mSATA version, True Speed and True Protect among others. Plextor's state of the art test center includes at least three Flexstar Technology thermal chambers (we are working on our own) for testing products at 60C ambient temperatures and another test with 400 SSDs running constantly for 500 hours without a single failure get attention on the official product page.
The part most care about though is the price and after a little research at Tiger Direct we learned this is an area where the PX-256M5M does really well. Tiger Direct has the 256GB model we're looking at today for $204.99. This is lower than the Intel 525 Series 240GB ($279.99), Crucial M500 240GB mSATA ($219.99) and every other 256GB class mSATA SSD at the popular shopping site.
Plextor doesn't include any extras in the package, as you'll soon see. The M5M Series does include a three year warranty.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Plextor M5M 256GB mSATA SSD]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.