A surprise hit for the joint French / U.S. studio Illumination Entertainment in 2010, Despicable Me has become a lucrative franchise for the fledging studio, with very strong home video sales, this sequel and a planned 2014 spin-off movie Minions incoming. With Despicable Me 2, the filmmakers focus on the very best elements from its predecessor, that is; the comedic opportunities provided by the adorable Minions and the frequent use of slapstick comedy that the littlies love so much.
Having been drafted by the head of the Anti-Villain league (Steve Coogan) to investigate the threat of a new super-villain who has obtained a serum that transforms the recipient into a mindless mutant, Gru (Steve Carrell) must balance the demands of sole parenthood and his own loneliness, with the demands of a life of villainy that he has turned his back on. When Gru's minions are kidnapped and his assistant Dr. Nefarious (Russell Brand) abandons his employ, Gru will need to rely on his own cunning to solve the mystery of the phantom villain, whilst keeping the family unit together.
Despicable Me 2 does precious little to shake up the formula of the first film with the entire original cast including Steve Carrell, Russell Brand and Miranda Cosgrove all coaxed back into returning, while comedian Kristen Wiig joins the cast as Gru's off-sider and potential love interest.
The fan favourite Minions, whom now sport more individualized personalities, feature much more significantly than in the first and provide much opportunity for mirth. While it must be said that the script plays far more to a younger age than say, your average Pixar film, there is still just enough adult laughs to keep parents interested. I also dare say that the film will play very well with young girls, with a carefully placed young love story thread.
It's a little bit of a surprise that the animation is acceptable, but hardly impressive and certainly doesn't hold a candle to the likes of Pixar, or even DreamWorks. Of course, kids hardly care about technicalities such as bump mapping and texture resolution, but I can't help but feel how... cheap it all looks. The inclusion of 3D is a less than necessary inclusion, although some novel use is made of the tech during the credits coda.
Despicable Me 2 is certainly a fun and lightweight laugh and I dare say this will hold pride of place behind many a Christmas tree later in the year.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NVIDIA's purported Volta-based TITAN Xv spotted
- Joss Wheddon taking over 'Justice League' directing duty
- Red Dead Redemption 2 delay causes stock dive
- Destiny 2 on PC: no dedicated servers
- Red Dead Redemption 2 delayed to Spring 2018
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK with SSD M.2 Plextor M8PeG 256gb. low speed after shut down
- Prey Review: Dark Stars, Darker Thoughts
- Alien Covenant Movie Review
- Western Digital sets new standard with latest generation in popular HGST-brand Ultrastar SAS SSD family
- AMD raises expectations for server performance, unveils EPYC processor brand for the datacenter
- HighPoint's SSD7101 PCIe board-sized drive series integrate Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs to deliver groundbreaking performance over 12GB/s
- Micron accelerates all-flash storage speed, performance and value with new flexible petabyte-scale enterprise data center solution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 and 630 mobile platforms drive advanced photography, enhanced gaming, integrated connectivity and machine learning