Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts
Coming in at $294.99 at the time of writing, it's worth mentioning that this is the fourth most expensive Z87 motherboard listed over at Newegg. Saying that, though, it's important to note that the third most expensive is $349.99 and the two most expensive offerings come in at $409.99, so there's really a decent price gap separating the top four boards.
In that $239 - $294 gap, though, we're really got a ton of boards. If you're looking for a feature packed motherboard, the chances are you're going to probably be spending over the $250 mark.
At just under $300, the ASRock Z87 OC FORMULA isn't a cheap option, but looking at it, we really feel that it's a fair price tag for what is being offered. Outside of the OLED Status Display, one of the other features that is awesome on the board is the Conformal Coating to waterproof the board. This is a feature that a lot of people will more than likely not have a huge use for. However, it's definitely something for the more extreme overclockers out there who make use of LN2.
During Computex, I spoke to an overclocker who said that he had two boards die on him during the afternoon. Due to the humidity in Taiwan, the condensation was building up on the boards and the water was killing them. Of course with the new coating offered by ASRock, this is something that you don't have to worry about. Alongside this, though, we've got a ton of other stand out features that include EMI Shielding on the audio chip, 12-Phase Power Design, Premium Alloy Chokes and Hi Density Power connectors to name some of the big ones. We've also got an awesome cooling setup around the CPU area, which has water cooling barbs pre-installed for you.
Something that's important to note, though, is that you don't need to be some extreme overclocker to make use of all these features. A number of these just add to making a board more stable and better built. Even if you're running at stock or overclocking via air or water, these are features that will offer you a better quality experience.
Performance on the board is strong. Out of the box we saw it sit ahead of the pack most the time with the Hyper Pi result really being the only one that fell back a little. SSD performance under HD Tune Pro was a little weird, but we have to admit it's not the first time HD Tune Pro results haven't quite lined up with AIDA64 results, which looked good.
Overclocking was also great, not only that, though, it was super easy. Using the profiles offered on the board, you can overclock with ease. You can use the settings that ASRock offer you as a base and then kind of just work around them. We used the 4.8GHz profile as our base, and while that wasn't quite passable for us (CPU issue), a little adjustment brought us down to 4.7GHz, which was rock solid.
It doesn't matter if you're an extreme overclocker or just someone looking for a quality motherboard, the ASRock Z87 OC FORMULA is a fantastic option. We really love this board and there's a reason it won our Best of Computex 2013 award for the motherboard category. We'll be definitely asking for a full packaged AC version of the board which carries the wireless networking feature when it comes out soon.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Take an Extra 15% Off All VPNs at TweakTown Deals
- Aussie Police crack down on phone use while driving
- Viral vandalism video sees young woman 'completely humiliated'
- LG announces 'Ray' smartphone for 3G markets
- Power two systems with one power supply thanks to Phanteks' splitter
- Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation 1TB Review
- North Bridge Frequency Locked at 4300 on Fatal1ty X99M Killer/3.1 Board
- New SSD Connections and GA-Z87X-UD5H?
- ID-Cooling Frostflow 120L CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- SanDisk Extreme 500 240GB USB 3.0 Portable SSD Review
- CYBERTRONPC OFFERS TESSERACT 15 SK NOTEBOOK, NOW WITH 6th GEN INTEL PROCESSOR AND WINDOWS 10
- HERE and the Netherlands evaluating 4G/LTE-based C-ITS road messaging system
- Sony PLAYSTATION 4 (PS4) SALES SURPASS 30.2 MILLION UNITS WORLDWIDE
- Samsung Starts Mass Producing Industry's First 128-GIGABYTE DDR4 Modules for Enterprise Servers
- LG RAY DELIVERS LARGE HD DISPLAY AND BEST-IN-CLASS CAMERAS FOR 3G MARKETS