Inside the Box
This is the first time we've seen a plastic cover over the foam. It is somewhat of a nice touch, however the user manual is glued to it, and it's a pain to remove.
Lifting the top foam off, we find that everything is very well protected and isn't crammed in the box at all.
The top gives us a look at the semi-gloss black finished used on the Newton R3 800W as well as the Fractal Design logo stamped in the housing for added aesthetics.
The side of the power supply houses the I/O specification label.
The other side features the Fractal Design logo, which has nice contrast with the semi-gloss black finish.
There isn't anything too special going on towards the back of the unit. We find the standard honeycomb mesh grill with AC input and on/off rocker switch present. This view does give us a good look at the beveled corners of the power supply, which adds a subtle bit of finesse to the Newton R3.
Rotating towards the front we can see that all of the modular connections are clearly labeled. There is also some additional venting above the modular connections.
Normally I don't just take a picture of the cable bag, but this one really caught my eye. It isn't just your standard bag that you stuff everything into.
I felt like a locksmith unrolling his tool bag as I unrolled the cable bag. All cables are held in their own individual pocket and labeled for quick reference and access. I would assume the extra pocket is used for a higher wattage unit like the Newton R3 1000W and has another cable in it such as pair of PCI-E cables.
After pulling them all from the pockets, we can see that all of the modular cables are of the flat ribbon variety.
Aside from the mandatory user manual, AC input cord and mounting screws, there are a few additions. There are five zip ties and two reusable Velcro cable ties included for cable management. There is also a card that lets you know that the fan doesn't turn on until it is necessary and not to freak out when it doesn't spin upon turning the unit on.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
- Official Statement
First and foremost, Fractal Design has not intentionally tried to deceive or mislead our customers. In good faith, we have specified the Newton R3 to have 100% Japanese capacitors. Unfortunately during the production process, some of the Japanese capacitors were replaced with Taiwanese capacitors without our knowledge. As we have learned, the switch came about due to the fact that the Japanese capacitor manufacturer did not offer capacitors with the specifications called for in their standard range. This is something that only recently came to our attention and we have therefore taken immediate action to change the marketing material so that it matches the actual product. We would like to highlight that we, Fractal Design, take full responsibility for this and do not push blame onto our manufacturers. It is our personal responsibility to deliver products as per the correct specification.
In the face of the recent oversight, we still confidently stand behind our products, their design and quality. Like many other premium manufacturers, the Newton R3 partially includes Taiwanese capacitors. Previously, Taiwanese capacitors have been labelled as a lower quality part, however, currently, they are regarded to be higher quality, in both performance and longevity. There are often other factors that contribute to the failure of a power supply. We believe that our products are of high quality, not only in performance, but also in terms of reliability and durability. We would not dare offer a 5 year guarantee if we did not have full confidence in our product performance.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung reportedly decides on the Galaxy S9 screen size
- ASUS X399 ROG Zenith Extreme: ThreadRipper BEAST BOARD
- Intel CPU engineer leaves after 20 years
- Digital made up 80% of Ubisoft's first quarter sales
- Console gamers to spend more on DLC than games in 2017
- ASUS X200 CA 1.0 should camera appear in system in control panel?
- How to upgrade the BIOS to GA-UD23-B3?
- Baby Driver Movie Review
- Asus laptop BIOS does not recognize UBCD-post page is grayed out - can't post
- Bloody AL90 Blazing Laser Gaming Mouse Review
- BIOSTAR introduces the world's first 8-slot PCI-e mining motherboard with the TB250-BTC+
- HyperX unveils HyperX Alloy Elite and TKL HyperX Alloy FPS Pro mechanical gaming keyboards
- Toshiba Memory Corporation develops world's first 3D flash memory with TSV technology
- ADATA releases XPG GAMMIX line with S10 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.2 SSD and D10 DDR4