If there is one company that you want to keep your eyes on right now, it is most certainly Fractal Design. They have come out of the corner swinging and over the last few years have been delivering quality products left, right and center. Their cases have been a perfect mix of both form and function and none have skimped on quality at all.
Earlier in the year, we took a look at the Integra R2 750W from them and were rather happy with what we saw. As en entry-level power supply, it delivered almost perfectly.
This time around we looking at something on the opposite side of the spectrum. The Newton R3 series is Fractal Design's flagship line of power supplies and offers quite a bit more than the no-frills Integra R2 series. The 800W model on the bench today is modular and nearly silent, along with 80 PLUS Platinum efficiency.
The Newton R3 800W represents what most want out of a quality 700W-900W unit, so you'll definitely want to keep reading if you're in the market for new power supply.
Specifications, Availability and Pricing
Fractal Design uses a single 12V rail for the Newton R3 800W power supply. It is rated for 66A or 792W. Both the 3.3V and 5V rails are rated for 20A each with a combined maximum output of 100W. While this isn't the best output we've seen for the minor rails, it should be plenty providing there isn't some heavy overclocking going on. The 5VSB rail is also rated a tad low for an 800W unit and is capable of 2.5A or 12.5W total. Maximum combined output for the unit is 800W.
The Fractal Design Newton R3 800W almost scores green checks across the board, but misses it by one. The Newton R3 doesn't feature Over Temperature Protection, but does have SCP, OVP, OCP and OPP. The power supply features both native and modular cabling. All cables are either fully sleeved or of the flat ribbon variety. The Newton R3 800W is rated for 100% continuous output at 50C and is certified for 80 PLUS Platinum efficiency.
Fractal Design's Newton R3 has an MSRP of $189. Looking around the web, you won't find it any cheaper than that. Even so, it is still one of the cheapest Platinum rated units on the market near that wattage. Fractal Design backs the Newton R3 800W with a five year warranty.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
- Official Statement
First and foremost, Fractal Design has not intentionally tried to deceive or mislead our customers. In good faith, we have specified the Newton R3 to have 100% Japanese capacitors. Unfortunately during the production process, some of the Japanese capacitors were replaced with Taiwanese capacitors without our knowledge. As we have learned, the switch came about due to the fact that the Japanese capacitor manufacturer did not offer capacitors with the specifications called for in their standard range. This is something that only recently came to our attention and we have therefore taken immediate action to change the marketing material so that it matches the actual product. We would like to highlight that we, Fractal Design, take full responsibility for this and do not push blame onto our manufacturers. It is our personal responsibility to deliver products as per the correct specification.
In the face of the recent oversight, we still confidently stand behind our products, their design and quality. Like many other premium manufacturers, the Newton R3 partially includes Taiwanese capacitors. Previously, Taiwanese capacitors have been labelled as a lower quality part, however, currently, they are regarded to be higher quality, in both performance and longevity. There are often other factors that contribute to the failure of a power supply. We believe that our products are of high quality, not only in performance, but also in terms of reliability and durability. We would not dare offer a 5 year guarantee if we did not have full confidence in our product performance.
Latest News Posts
- Cyberpunk 2077 release date reveal won't happen in 2017
- New 'Planet of the Apes' trailer promises 'War'
- Destiny 2's 'dramatic and compelling' storyline revealed
- They did it! SpaceX launches and lands re-used rocket
- Joss Whedon's 'Batgirl' set to enter DC film universe
- No audio from monitor when using capture device
- iStorage datAshur Pro 8GB Encrypted Flash Drive Review
- GA-EP45-UD3R having wierd issues with 8 GB RAM
- ROCCAT SUORA FX Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Edition 8G Review
- CD PROJEKT summarizes its 2016 financial results
- Destiny 2 announced: blockbuster sequel to the biggest new console video game franchise launch of all time set for September 8
- MSI announces frosty limited edition Trident 3 Arctic gaming PC
- ADATA adds the i-Memory AI920 jet black flash drive
- FinalWire releases AIDA64 Extreme 5.90 benchmark software