Nothing polarizes the worlds critics more than the release of a Baz Luhrman film, and despite the consensus of his last film, the well intentioned, but nonetheless disappointing Australia, it seems that you either get them or you don't. With The Great Gatsby, Luhrman finally has a project that plays to the best of his strengths and signature touches; a perfect confluence of music, spectacular production design and for the first time, 3D technology.
Through his doctor, as a form of treatment for his malaise and depression, Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) recounts the story of his introduction and time spent with Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio), describing him as "the most hopeful man I had ever met". Carraway lives next door to the imposing Gatsby mansion, the epicenter of New York's social life with the hundreds that flock to his home, oblivious to who he really is, or what he does to fund it. When Gatsby calls on Nick for a favor of extending the invitation to his cousin Daisy (Carey Mulligan) to one of the shindigs, an unstoppable chain of events is set in motion that juxtaposes Gatsby's unrelenting desires, with events that are entirely out of his control.
Director Baz Luhrman first cast a young, pre superstardom DiCaprio in 1996's Romeo + Juliet, and the intervening years have made him a markedly more accomplished performer, imbuing Gatsby with the qualities of naked ambition, fractured emotion and the necessary air of mystery. Matched by his performance is Carey Mulligan as Daisy, a carefully measured role which portrays fragility and ambition in equal measure. All in all, the entire cast is very, very good, including Joel Edgerton as Tom Buchanan, Daisy's partner and Jason Clarke as the jilted husband of Tom's lover.
While many critics have expressed their disdain at the film, I've no doubt that it's Luhrman's strongest picture to date. Whatever criticisms leveled at his previous projects, most notably glitzy extravagance and technical brilliance at the cost of coherence, don't necessarily apply here - the excesses belong to the larger than life Gatsby's, not to the Director. Whilst Luhrman normally has a penchant for slightly over-long cuts, in this respect Gatsby is nearly perfectly balanced.
It wouldn't be a Luhrman film without great music and in this regard the film doesn't disappoint. It may be entirely anachronistic, but the merging of 1920's jazz with bass infused modern beats is strangely appealing, but I would have to single out Lana Del Rey's hauntingly touching track "Young and Beautiful" for particular mention, which acts as a quasi-theme to be echoed throughout.
With expectations in check, I thoroughly enjoyed The Great Gatsby, a visually stunning tour de force with solid performances from a well developed adaptation of an American classic.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Join the 'Suicide Squad' in our Blu-ray giveaway
- Netflix will double original show content in 2017
- Nashville moves to dismiss Comcast anti-Fiber lawsuit
- Amazon Go: Grocery shopping with no cash, no lines
- The Last of US 2 being co-written by Westworld writer
- Strontium iDrive Nitro Lightning 64GB Card Reader Review
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z170 Fan control & PWM issue
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- Micron accelerates adoption of all-flash data centers with highest-capacity enterprise SATA Solid State Drive
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand