In 2012, Seagate was the second largest storage company in the world, second only to EMC. This places Seagate at the top of the market for HDD manufacturers. With the tremendous manufacturing output of more than half a million drives per day, it is easy to understand how they have risen to the top of the market. Seagate manufactures eight HDDs per second, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This equals 28,519 HDD's an hour, and 684,462 HDD's per day.
The Seagate Enterprise Performance V.6 (formerly known as the Savvio 10K.6) is a solid performer from Seagate that leverages enhanced technology to deliver great performance. In our sequential tests, the V.6 nearly matched a 2.5" 15,000-RPM competitor. This is a great level of performance from the V.6 and a testament to the continuing innovation from Seagate.
Keeping up with the data explosion by increasing capacity has become the norm, the average capacity per drive shipped for enterprise applications has increased by 31% between 2011 and 2012, while areal density only rose by 15%. This equates to the majority of density increases coming from more platters and heads, adding speed, but also in many ways adding complexity.
Seagate chose to stay at the 900GB max capacity, instead relying upon other improvements to speed up the performance of the Enterprise Performance V.6. Increasing the performance of a 10K HDD is no small task when keeping the same amount of platters like the V.6 and only adding 5% more areal density.
A 21 percent sequential performance improvement over the previous generation models places the V.6 within striking distance of 3.5" 15K RPM HDDs, shows the fruits of Seagate's labors. Impressive power consumption figures allow the V.6 to deliver a 55% decrease in operational power when compared to 3.5" 15K HDDs.
The Seagate V.6 also offers a SAS connection for enterprise-class connectivity and a host of features that increase the functionality of the HDD over the previous generation. The Enterprise Performance V.6 is the first HDD to offer the Seagate RAID Rebuild feature, which significantly increases RAID rebuild rates.
Security is an ongoing concern for customers, and the V.6 offers Seagate Instant Secure Erase for drive erasures in less than a minute. The inclusion of encryption as a standard for all capacity points, and the option for FIPS for the 900 GB versions, rounds out the security options. Protection Information (PI) technology provides an end-to-end data protection scheme that prevents data corruption from the application level down to the drive, and the T-10 compliant Power Choice technology allows users to tailor systems for optimal performance and power usage.
Finally, the V.6 is covered by a five year warranty. The Seagate Enterprise Performance V.6 performed well in our tests, and excelled in sequential workloads, earning it the TweakTown Best Performance Award.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft goes on tour with HoloLens AR demos
- Just Mobile launches 'self-healing' iPhone cases
- BlackBerry could exit phone business if the Priv crashes
- Surface Book has dual-GPU setup with custom 1GB GDDR5 Maxwell GPU
- Xbox boss: 'We aren't motivated by beating Sony'
- Kingwin Power Dock PD-2537U3 Dual-Bay Clone Storage Station Review
- GA-X58A-UD3R Rev1 SSD Boot Order Issue.
- Help Updating GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2.0 Bios
- Got a Gaming 9 ACK X99S MSI MB to trade ..
- Bootloop Issue with GA-Z97N-WiFi even after RMA
- EVGA Gives Away Free Cooler Shroud Replacement to its HYBRID Series Owners
- Shuttle Offers Value Priced XPC Nano Small Form Factor PC
- MSI Announces the DS502 7.1 Gaming Headset with Active Noise-Cancelation
- Netgear Introduces Quad-Mode Business-Class Wireless-AC Access Points
- Nokia announces planned leadership and organizational structure for combined Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent