The Seagate Enterprise Performance 10K HDD V.6 (formerly branded as the Savvio 10K.6) provides a new enterprise-class SAS 6Gb/s 10K HDD in a svelte 2.5" form factor with a 15mm Z-height. These slim HDD's pack a generous helping of capacity, with models weighing in at 300, 450, 600 and 900GB. The small form factor HDD segment is booming as decreases in size create a high performance tier deployable into dense applications.
High performance tiers of HDD's continue to serve a vital role in the datacenter, with the speedy SSD competition only accounting for 3% of datacenter storage in 2012. While the percentage of SSD's is forecasted to expand to 9.9% by 2016, this still leaves the HDD as the storage backbone of the datacenter with a whopping 90.1% share.
The high capacity HDD market also continues its rapid expansion, with the HDD industry shipping 53% more TB of capacity in 2012 compared to 2011. Creating a fast front-end for these vast arrays of HDD's requires a nimble high-performance tier that can also provide a robust amount of storage capacity.
The SAS Enterprise Performance V.6 delivers enhancements in speed, power consumption and encryption capabilities over the previous 10K.5 generation. The jump from a 168MB/s sustained transfer rate with the 10K.5 to 204MB/s for the Enterprise Performance V.6 equates to a 21% jump in performance. This places the sustained sequential transfer rates for the V.6 on equal footing with 2.5" 15K HDD's.
Another key selling point of the V.6 is its energy efficiency. The V.6 features a 14% decrease in power requirements in comparison to the Savvio 10K.5 HDD's. Even more impressive is the power consumption reduction of up to 71% in comparison to 15K-RPM 3.5" HDD's. The performance and power consumption gains are impressive, but the Seagate Enterprise Performance 10K HDD V.6 also brings other enterprise-class features to the table.
One ongoing concern for large HDD deployments is excessively long RAID rebuilds. The V.6 is the first mission-critical HDD to offer the Seagate RAID Rebuild technology option. The RAID Rebuild feature enables faster recovery from a failed drive in a RAID configuration. RAID Rebuild improves performance by extracting easily readable data from a failing drive by identifying blocks that would take longer to recover from the failed drive than to rebuild from parity data in the RAID array. This minimizes the likelihood of a second drive failure in the array during rebuild and allows host control of error recovery.
The V.6 drives also include self-encryption at no extra cost for all capacity points. For those with more intense requirements for data security, there is a 900GB V.6 that also provides the FIPS Self-Encrypting Drive option. A shocking 50,000 drives leave datacenters daily with terabytes of data intact. According to IBM, more than 90% of drives returned for warranty contain readable data. By providing FIPS 140-2 Level 2 compliance, Seagate gives customers an easy means of protecting data at rest.
Seagate's Instant Secure Erase reduces the time required to overwrite the drive from hours to less than a minute, speeding the process of repurposing or retirement of the drive. Protection Information (PI) technology provides an end-to-end data protection scheme that prevents data corruption from the application level down to the drive. The V.6 is backed up by a five year warranty.
Today we will compare the performance of the 10K V.6 against a leading 15K HDD, and the energy efficiency to a lower RPM 7,200 RPM model.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Huawei unveils the Watch 2 and Watch 2 Classic
- Enter the 'Doctor Strange' world in our Blu-ray giveaway
- Huawei unveils the P10 and P10 Plus
- R.I.P. Bill Paxton 1955-2017
- Iconic Nokia 3310 is now official and comes with Snake
- Will the PC-Q17 ever be released in the U.S?
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- LG unveils new G6 with a large fullvision display tailored to fit in one hand
- Introducing LG XPower2 with high capacity battery designed for demanding users
- Enjoy incredible performance of AMD RYZEN with BIOSTAR X370GT5 motherboard
- COLORFUL introduces iGameGTX1080 X-TOP-8G Advanced video card
- Team Group introduces its fastest SSD for gamers with T-FORCE CARDEA M.2 SSD