We've got a ton of CPU's here today that we'll be comparing against the new Haswell i7 4770Km which will be running at both stock and overclocked speeds, with the latter being covered in just a moment. From Intel we've got the i7 2600K, 3770K, 990X Extreme Edition, 3930K and finally the 3970X Extreme Edition. As for the AMD side of things, we've simply included the FX-8150.
Before we get into the performance side of things we need to look at overclocking. Like with any new platform, you don't really know where to start, so overclocking can initially be a bit slow, tedious and generally not as strong as later in the game. Heading into the BIOS for the first time we move straight down to the voltages. The one thing I absolutely love about ASUS boards is that as you up the voltages, the number changes color letting you know if you're still at a safe level or too high.
As we go through the voltages we move to the point where we hit the last "yellow" before it turns "purple", letting us know that we're going a little too high. Once we'd done all that we headed in to the multiplier area and started messing around. We started at 50x and found ourselves unable to get into Windows. We then moved to 49x and found ourselves having the same issue.
Moving to 48x resulted in a clock speed of 4.8GHz and we got into Windows with no problem. We then fired up MediaEspresso, which we've found to be our best benchmark when it comes to testing stability. Unfortunately we didn't get too far into the encode process before we got hit with a BSOD.
We moved down to 47x and while we got further into our encode process, we still ended up hitting a BSOD. It wasn't until we moved to the 46x multiplier and came in with a 4.6GHz clock speed that we finally found everything was stable. It's a little hard to completely judge the overclocking on the processor at the moment because as we test more boards, get more updated BIOS' and grow more accustom to overclocking the CPU, we'll achieve higher CPU clocks.
Anyway with that all said and done, it seems fairly safe to get into the benchmarking side of things and find out just what kind of performance we're able to get out of this new Intel setup.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Haswell Processors]
- Page 3 [Intel Z87 Chipset]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [PCMark 7 and HyperPi]
- Page 6 [AIDA64]
- Page 7 [PassMark PerformanceTest]
- Page 8 [CINEBENCH, Adobe Lightroom and MediaEspresso]
- Page 9 [3DMark 11 and Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 10 [Power and Temperature Tests]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- You can now play Nintendo 64 games on Xbox One
- Respawn: Microsoft forced Titanfall as Xbox exclusive
- Our 'Kingsglaive' Blu-ray giveaway is no 'Final Fantasy'
- Valve planning Steam home page visual revamp, and more
- Yahoo admits 500 million accounts hacked in 2014
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- Prepping LGA2011 Build
- Unable to find BIOS update for motherboard
- Lian Li O Series Multiple Expansion card support
- asrock fatality h170 performance red light on bios and not monitor output no beeps
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now