Intel's Haswell, Z87 and the i7 4770K are a good natural progression. We find ourselves sitting in that boat where if you're already on a strong Series 7 setup, you probably won't be in a rush to make the jump like we've seen from previous generation upgrades. Saying that, though, if you're going to build a new system now, we'd recommend that you jump straight on the Haswell bandwagon. It seems a little pointless to buy an older generation system when the new one has launched at a strong price point.
Saying all that, you can see under some benchmarks the difference in performance is extremely strong. The numbers under PCMark 7 for instance, the i7 4770K comes out ahead of all our other setups at stock and the gap becomes even larger when we overclock. You're going to certainly see some excellent gains in certain areas.
Overclocking is one area that we're looking forward to diving into more. As we mentioned earlier in the overclocking section, as we test more boards, get the opportunity to pick up some more processors, get the latest and greatest BIOS from companies and just generally get more comfortable with the platform, we should really see some great numbers out of it.
When it comes to the gaming side of things, performance is pretty much exactly what we'd expect. As usual, we really see little change when it comes to comparing the cheaper $200 CPUs against the monster $1000 ones. Saying that, we'll be taking a deeper look at gaming performance in the coming week or two.
We'll of course be moving into a much higher-end video card setup in the form of three way CrossFireX with a HD 7990 and HD 7970 GHz Edition to see just what kind of performance we're able to get out of the setup. We're hoping when we really start to flood our system, some changes become visible.
One of the more exciting features that surrounds the new platform, though, is the motherboard line up we're seeing from companies. It really feels like we have never seen a motherboard line up as strong as what we're seeing at this launch compared to any previous one. There are truly some fantastic motherboards launching straight away from companies like ASRock, ASUS and GIGABYTE to name just a few of the companies.
Along with that, what we've seen from the memory side of things is also really exciting. While previous experience tells us that the speed of your memory has little impact in most main areas, there's something exciting about seeing our memory climb past 3000MHz DDR and even beyond.
The latest platform from Intel really is quite an exciting one. We use the word platform because we are talking about so much more than just some new CPUs that are launching. If you weren't excited for Computex already, what we see in the coming week from companies surround Haswell should be truly exciting.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Haswell Processors]
- Page 3 [Intel Z87 Chipset]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [PCMark 7 and HyperPi]
- Page 6 [AIDA64]
- Page 7 [PassMark PerformanceTest]
- Page 8 [CINEBENCH, Adobe Lightroom and MediaEspresso]
- Page 9 [3DMark 11 and Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 10 [Power and Temperature Tests]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- 'Furious 8' finally lands a director
- NVIDIA rumored to discontinue the 2GB version of the GeForce GTX 960
- Amazon's WWII alternate reality series is chilling
- Halo 5 has gone gold, campaign clocks in at between 8-12 hours
- PlayStation 4 universal remote to release late October
- Got a Gaming 9 ACK X99S MSI MB to trade ..
- Bootloop Issue with GA-Z97N-WiFi even after RMA
- D-Link DCH-S160 mydlink Wi-Fi Smart Home Water Sensor Review
- ga-z170x-UD5 m.2 raid and intel rst drivers will not let me install windows to the raid
- X99 Extreme 4 and Thunderbolt
- EVGA Gives Away Free Cooler Shroud Replacement to its HYBRID Series Owners
- Shuttle Offers Value Priced XPC Nano Small Form Factor PC
- MSI Announces the DS502 7.1 Gaming Headset with Active Noise-Cancelation
- Netgear Introduces Quad-Mode Business-Class Wireless-AC Access Points
- Nokia announces planned leadership and organizational structure for combined Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent