We haven't talked much about the SanDisk Extreme II 480GB price, but when it comes to these large capacity size SSDs, I feel the price is a bit more important than the other capacity sizes. SanDisk's MSRP is $439.99 and that's where we expect Newegg to be on launch day. In this capacity size, we can wipe every LSI SandForce SSD off the table due to low 4K write performance, unless you are just looking for a really low-cost 512GB class SSD. The Corsair Force GS 480GB costs $319.99 at Newegg and the original Extreme 480GB is $359.99, but as we stated, the 4K performance is down on these products.
The Samsung 840 (non-Pro) comes up at $329.99 at Newegg. The 840 is fast, but not in the top tier hyper-class fast like 840 Pro ($499.99) and Vector ($539.99). The Sandisk Extreme II 480GB rounds out this hyper-class of performance SSDs, the best of the best in performance terms, and it also costs less than the other two drives in this very limited group. As mentioned, I feel price plays a very big role in the purchasing decision in this capacity size. With an average of around $500, well that's a lot of loot that could go towards a lot of different things. It is real money and not weekend concert or a couple of nights out with the boys at the bar money. Extreme II eases the wallet pain and delivers top tier performance at a much lower price.
When it comes to performance, the Extreme II is like smacking a racehorse with the jockey stick. In our testing, the Extreme II 480GB came alive and delivered great performance. For desktop use, it doesn't have any weaknesses.
In a notebook tied to a wall, we can still recommend this product, but if you spend a lot of time on battery, the Extreme II 480GB won't deliver the same battery life as the 240GB model. In our test with a six-cell battery, the time difference was around 35 minutes. With a larger 9-cell battery, we estimate the difference to be closer to 50 minutes and in an ultrabook where 10-hour battery time is possible, the difference could be as high as an hour and a half to two hours.
As a performance SSD, the SanDisk Extreme II 480GB delivers the two things we want most - high performance, with a good price.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [SanDisk Extreme II 480GB]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Destiny: The Taken King's raid won't be live upon release
- Save Up to 96% On August's Top 3 Deals
- Astronauts believe it's only a matter of time before man heads to Mars
- Destiny: Xur's Three of Coins exotic drop buff will be a gamble
- UK debuts its 'UK Against ISIL' social media account
- Clean install windows 10 after being an insider
- Corsair Hydro H110i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- H97 boards, graphics cards and CPUs running hotter than on Z97 boards
- New network adapter making graphics card fail.
- x99 Extreme 4/3.1 Red Light + No Display
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20