The DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX S40 is everything it was touted to be on the front of the box. It fits all the latest and currently supported CPU sockets, even some that aren't. The cooler is compact and very user-friendly, since it comes with thermal paste pre-applied and only requires four screws for the hardware and you are just a step away from running with this cooler. Some may think that the push-pins are sort of a pain in the butt, but come on, this isn't rocket science. And I like that you don't have to remove the motherboard or have to juggle it as you try to apply some of the socket hardware offered on other coolers. DEEPCOOL makes this as friendly of a user experience as possible, and does it all without too much interference on the rest of the system.
There are a couple of issues as I see it with my sample. The heads on the screws used for the hardware could be better checked before you send someone hardware that looks like it was already used once, and not with the right tools. The second issue I have is that you will lose access to the closest memory slot if you have anything with a heat spreader on it, and the way memory comes today, good luck finding ones without them. The last thing is less of an issue and more something I noticed about the airflow in the GAMMAXX S40 - it was something I felt in testing once I saw that we were peaking at the 83 degree mark. As I put my hand behind the cooler, I felt nothing - no air flow. What I found is that all of the air is being collected by the pipes and being thrown out the side of the cooler. Had DEEPCOOL closed off the ends of these fins, even with a single fan, they could have gotten much better results, as it would force the air to finish its job, and not stop halfway through.
DEEPCOOL was able to still impress me with such a small cooler, and maybe it is because I tend to see all these cooler competing for the top spot. It is somewhat comforting to see a cooler like many of them were when I started reviewing coolers. Simplicity, ease of use, able to handle my mini-furnace of a processor without letting it throttle, pretty quiet in the grand scheme of coolers, and can be had for $30.
DEEPCOOL shows that sticking to the basics can be successful when things are priced accordingly with what you are getting, more people would look to purchase these. With all the hype surrounding the Hyper 212 series of coolers, there is a new god in the yard that is looking for attention and may just have what it takes to dethrone CM and the cooler that has sold I'm guessing close to a million coolers by now.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX S40 CPU Cooler]
- Page 5 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 6 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 7 [The Test System and Thermal Results]
- Page 8 [Noise Level Results]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- NVIDIA: Just Cause 3 engine 'incompatible with multi-GPU solutions'
- Report claims mobile broadband is more affordable than ever
- It's Not Too Late - Our Cyber Monday Sale Continues Today
- Google Street View used to monitor climate change
- OnePlus clarifies charging cable claims, not blaming suppliers
- conroe 1333dvi/h beta bios
- Tenda AC15 AC1900 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Q9550 P5Q Pro overclock
- Asrock 970 Pro3 R2 Freezes Randomnly
- Foscam FI9821P 720p HD Wireless IP Camera Review
- Synthesio Announces Janet Megdadi As Chief Revenue Officer
- Polk BOOM Adds to Ready 4 Anything Speaker Family with New Swimmer Duo and Swimmer Jr.
- Viper SmartStart 4.0 Now Lets You Control Your Car from Your Wrist
- Gemalto Payment HSM Supports Cloud Tokenization Requirements for Secure Mobile Payment Transactions and Digitization of Credit Card Credentials
- ALL-METAL LG ZERO BRINGS TOGETHER LUXURIOUS DESIGN WITH BEST CAMERA TECHNOLOGY