For a long time we used to see AMD and NVIDIA release similar models at the same time, but over the past few years, we've seen new GPU launches become separated. The only time that has changed in recent years is the release of the HD 7790 and GTX 650 Ti Boost, which saw both companies offer mid $100 models, just a few weeks apart from each other.
When it came to the dual GPU models, we saw a large gap between the GTX 690 that NVIDIA offered and the recently released HD 7990 from AMD. Not only that, though, after the GTX 680 came out, AMD months later released an updated version of the HD 7970 in the way of the GHz Edition, which helped them come back out on top in most areas.
Today we're seeing NVIDIA do refresh when it comes to the high-end single GPU segment with the release of the new GTX 700 series. The first piece to that puzzle comes in the form of the GTX 780, which is the video card we're looking at today. I think one of the most important things to remember is that the new GTX 700 series isn't designed to come out and replace the impressive GTX TITAN, which quickly became a fan favorite of ours.
We also don't know the rate of which the GTX 700 series will grow at. While we've heard rumors that a GTX 770 is coming, outside of that, we don't know what's going on. With NVIDIA also just recently releasing the GTX 650 Ti Boost, we're not sure if they'd be in such a hurry to release new mid-range models under the GTX 700 series name. The lack of rumors in that area also makes us feel that they're going to be at least a little while off. For now it's clear that NVIDIA want to take back its single GPU dominance in a more affordable fashion. As fast as the GTX TITAN is for a single GPU video card, the associated $999 price tag is hard for most people to swallow.
Being a reference video card that we're checking out today means that we don't have any kind of package to look at. Instead we'll just be getting straight into the card itself. We'll see just what NVIDIA is offering in the form of the GTX 780. We'll then cover the specification side of things and talk about the main highlights. From there we'll look at our testbed and cover the cards that will be in our graphs here today. Once we've done all that it's straight into the performance numbers.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 20 [Temperature Test]
- Page 21 [Sound Test]
- Page 22 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 23 [GeForce Experience and Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Polaris is exciting, but will this be the GPU we're looking for?
- China is the first to have an autonomous police robot, with a taser
- The 'Space Jam' sequel is happening for reals this time
- VR could be awesome as a mainstream device, but it might be held back
- Oculus Rift to be sold in-store at Best Buy starting May 7
- I bought a new open box assus laptop but the sound does not work, help.
- JBL Xtreme Portable Bluetooth Speaker Review
- PC reboots immediately after being put to sleep
- How does correct CPU install bend pins?
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience
- Seagate now shipping 10TB helium enterprise drive in volume
- ENERMAX announces the new DFR technology with D.F.PRESSURE
- World's first 24/7 esports TV channel launched