When it comes to memory solutions, Transcend has one of the largest product portfolio's and is constantly striving to innovate new and exciting products for consumers like you and me. As I have talked many times about everything going mobile these days and in the attempt to catch up to our "On the Go" lifestyles, Transcend has taken SD card technology to the next level, introducing the Wi-Fi SD memory card.
Now there are many manufacturers that are starting to jump on the bandwagon for this new Wi-Fi SD technology. Just a few months ago I was approached by a few companies wanting me to take a look at their respective cards, and as I am the portable storage editor here at TweakTown, I thought this was in the very least an interesting take or upgrade to the standard SD cards of the past.
The Transcend Wi-Fi SD card comes in two flavours, one being the 16GB and the model we have here today, the 32GB capacity. With this new technology we must mention that these cards are not compatible with every camera and as such Transcend has published a PDF on their site detailing which cameras are supported.
The packaging for the card carries the Transcend logo in large font across the top. We also found the Class 10 speed rating listed across the top along with its Wi-Fi capabilities. Transcend has included a QR code at the bottom so you can access the camera compatibility list in store.
The back of the packaging goes into further detail with the card's capabilities.
Removing the package contents we found a very nice set of reading materials including a full color quick start guide.
As with all SD cards, we find the Transcend Wi-Fi packaged in a plastic case protecting the card. Here we see the card's 32GB capacity and speed rating listed on the front as well.
The back side of the card shows the connections for the SD card and identifying marks along the bottom.
Loading up the Wi-Fi SD app on our tablet, we were first greeted with a quick setup wizard.
This is the first app I have seen that actually guides you through the setup process, a big plus in my book. After setting up the Wi-Fi access on the card, we were ready to move on.
With this being a Wi-Fi card, and having to connect directly to it, Transcend has allowed for you to select an Internet enabled network.
After the quick start up guide, we were dropped in to the app. Here we find a full screen menu system that allows us to browse our SD cards contents, change settings and even "Shoot & View", which allows you to take photos and have them stream to you tablet or phone for instant viewing and even sharing.
We just had to try out the Shoot and View system Transcend has enabled on this card, and rather quickly after shooting a few pictures, they started showing up on our HP Touchpad.
In our DiskBench testing we found the Transcend Wi-Fi SD card living up to its Class 10 speed rating, raking in 13MB/s transferring our set of JPEGs. We were able to achieve 16MB/s moving both RAW and AVCHD files.
Transcend with this new Wi-Fi SD card has achieved a new level of mobility for end users, and while this card isn't compatible with every camera, they have managed to certify it for use on a number of modern DSLR cameras.
The Android app was straight forward, simple to navigate and understand. With its quick start guide, you will be up and taking pictures in a matter of minutes. The Shoot and View system was a rather pleasant experience as well, with pictures streaming in seconds to my tablet.
Being a Class 10 card, it wasn't the highest performing on our charts, but did achieve 16MB/s in AVCHD and RAW file copy. Pricing of this card at the time of writing is set at $58.99 for the 32GB capacity and $45.99 for the smaller 16GB model. Transcend backs each of these with a two year warranty.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- For Honor PC requirements revealed
- Take a closer look at the Xbox One's 28nm APU die
- New images of the upcoming LG G6 leaked
- COD: Infinite Warfare - best-selling game of 2016 in US
- The entire gaming market slumped 12% in the US last year
- headphones not registering on ASUS k501uq
- Black screen GA Z170X ULTRA GAMING BIOS F21 I7 6400 T HELP
- hp printer technical support
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Z170MX-Gaming 5 + i5 7600k.. Should work or not?
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni