Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts
Coming in at $169.99 at the time of writing, the 2GB variant of the HD 7790 from Sapphire comes in at the same price point of the GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB. With the NVIDIA options being generally the faster option, we'd really struggle to recommend this video card for this price point.
It's not a bad video card by any means. The performance of it is ultimately what you'd expect from an FPS standpoint. The cooler is fantastic as well - it looks great against the black PCB and just overall looks extremely aggressive. Outside of the aesthetics of the cooler, though, the performance is really strong. You can see looking at the numbers Sapphire has opted for a profile that makes it run a little warmer. By doing so, though, they've created something that runs extremely quiet, which is fantastic.
While it's not a video card we'd recommend as we feel you'd be better off spending this money on either the GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB or save a few dollars and buy the 1GB version, we know that people will still buy the model, as they just want a video card that has the extra memory.
We can see that under extremely intensive areas, the extra memory can provide a strong boost in performance. The problem is that under Metro 2033 with AA and AF on, while moving 6 FPS average to a 21 FPS average sounds fantastic, it ultimately has no impact on real-world performance. While the 300% performance increase sounds amazing, 21 FPS as an average remains way too low to be playable and provide a good gaming experience.
This is overall a nice video card despite everything said, but if you want this cooler, we'd recommend you just save the $10 price difference between the 2GB and 1GB models, and go buy yourself a beer or something. If you're not fussed about the cooler, then we'd highly recommend the Sapphire HD 7790 1GB Dual-X OC video card, which can be had for as cheap as $134.99 after rebate at the time of writing, which is really quite a steal.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 20 [Temperature Test]
- Page 21 [Sound Test]
- Page 22 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 23 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- These seven new Pokemon are quite...interesting
- Bill Gates initially hated the proposal for Xbox
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update released date confirmed
- NVIDIA Shield update adds support for Netflix HDR, Plex, Dolby Atmos
- eBay's new flash sale is perfect for extra Steam Summer Sale savings
- How will windows 10 affect my D, E and F drives?
- Updated BIOS on E3C226D2I now can't boot from USB
- GIGABYTE X99-Designare EX (Intel X99) Motherboard Review
- Synology DS916 Four-Bay Consumer NAS Review
- AMD Radeon RX 480 Video Card Review - Starting a Rebellion From $199
- MSI starring new Polaris-based Radeon RX 480 graphics card
- AMD launches the Radeon Rebellion with the Radeon RX 480 video card, available now
- SAPPHIRE launches next generation Polaris-based Radeon RX 480 video card
- Be Quiet! announces the Dark Base 900 case
- Western Digital launches world's fastest 256GB microSD Card