Something I didn't expect with the Xperia Z was to fall in love with it - upon opening it out of the box, I was in love. It looks gorgeous, performs admirably, and does it all without breaking a sweat. Have Sony gone from underdog to a true competitor? Yes, definitely.
It doesn't have the same plastic feel of the Samsung Galaxy devices, which I've come to dislike over time. Samsung have slowly been sliding in build quality (again, in my opinion) over the years, since the release of the Galaxy S II. The plastic feel of the Galaxy S III, Note II and more is getting a bit too much.
Sony have come out with a great device in the Xperia Z, something that is definitely worthy of your money. I would find it hard to believe that anyone could buy the Xperia Z and be disappointed in it, but I think Sony have a little while yet before they have the name that Samsung have in the competitive smart device market.
If they were to sell the Xperia Z for $399 outright and unlocked, and push it heavily in terms of marketing, it could soar. The problem is, Samsung have already got their foot firmly placed into the market, and whoever doesn't buy an iPhone, buys a Galaxy device.
Sony need to change this, and while the Xperia Z is worthy of this, they don't have the same power in the market that Samsung do.
Long story short, should you buy the Xperia Z? Yes, definitely. It's a great phone, and while it's more expensive than the Nexus 4, the Xperia Z has the Full HD display and being waterproof definitely isn't a bad thing. Besides the issues we experienced with viewing angles, there's not much bad to report.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Look and Feel]
- Page 3 [Display and Speaker Quality]
- Page 4 [Features]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- GeForce GT 1030 to cost $80, will compete against RX 550
- 'Kingsman' sequel releases first explosive trailer
- Intel's new Xeon rocks 28C/56T, costs over $12,000
- George Miller still planning two 'Mad Max' sequels
- Call of Duty WWII creatively strips players of power
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube Gaming PC Review
- Synology RT2600ac Wireless Router Review
- Cursor disappearing randomly
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives
- Call of Duty: WWII delivers gripping action on global scale
- Nokia partners with Lucasfilm to deliver an immersive behind-the-scenes VR experience of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- New LaCie 2big Dock Thunderbolt 3 bridges the port gap and delivers massive capacity to streamline creative workflows
- ENERMAX launches D.F. STORM, the 3500RPM fan featuring self-cleaning design