Samsung are very well known for creating an excellent LCD and the 172W is no exception. One of the worst things about the monitor is its height but all we can say is "Bring on the 192W," which we hope Samsung decide to produce. 16:9 is the in thing at the moment and because companies needed to go back to the drawing board to create these widescreen products, we also get to see some of the best specifications on 16:9 equipment since newer parts have had to be used.
Gaming with the 172W is excellent and it's nice to see an LCD monitor not give any form of ghosting - something which has plagued the LCD monitor for a long time. Since the whole widescreen concept is new to personal computers, the choice to play games in widescreen is still quite limited. Although with most games you are limited to 1024 X 768, you do get use to the picture being stretched slightly very quickly.
While the 172W only has the height of a 15" LCD, with a 1280 X 768 resolution you get a lot of desktop space. 15" LCDs usually carry a maximum resolution of 1024 X 768 so you are quite limited as far as space goes.
Overall we have one of the best speced LCD monitors on the market and its 16:9. The worst thing about the monitor is the height but of course 16:9 computer equipment is still new to the market and we are sure that we will be seeing bigger and better models from companies in the near future. The only problem is when you go bigger the ms speed usually increases and this is where we begin to see ghosting. Some people are going to love the monitor while others will not. At the end of the day it's going to be personal opinion but as far as how it runs, it's undoubtedly one of the best if not the best on the market right now.
No ghosting in games
No borders in those widescreen movies
Very sturdy stand
Both DVI and normal VGA outputs
Excellent maximum resolution for an LCD this size
Not as high as some might think
Game support for 1280 X 768 (16:9) quite limited
Rating - 9.5 out of 10 and TweakTown's Editors Choice Award
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Samsung 172W LCD - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Samsung 172W LCD - Page 2 [Specifications and 16:9 Rundown]
- Samsung 172W LCD - Page 3 [Features]
- Samsung 172W LCD - Page 4 [Features Continued]
- Samsung 172W LCD - Page 5 [Features Continued Again]
- Samsung 172W LCD - Page 6 [Testing]
- Samsung 172W LCD - Page 7 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 4-player coop mode coming to Watch Dogs 2 in June
- The first images from the new Tomb Raider movie are here
- First 'IT' trailer brings Pennywise back to terrify
- ASUS announces GTX 1080 11Gbps, GTX 1060 9Gbps models
- MSI and ASUS tease new GTX 1080s with 11Gbps GDDR5X RAM
- GA-EP45-UD3R having wierd issues with 8 GB RAM
- ROCCAT SUORA FX Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Edition 8G Review
- Cannot get rid of Asus Secure Delete
- NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- MSI announces frosty limited edition Trident 3 Arctic gaming PC
- ADATA adds the i-Memory AI920 jet black flash drive
- FinalWire releases AIDA64 Extreme 5.90 benchmark software
- ASUS announces support for Intel Optane memory
- Thermaltake releases new View 28 RGB Gull-Wing window ATX mid-tower chassis series with Tt LCS Certified and unique 256-color RGB matrix design